NEED HELP!! can't install or update programmes

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Woomy123, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Woomy123 macrumors regular

i just went to update a programme on my mac, i clicked install and it asked for my macs password i type it in and clicked next and nothing happened, so i clicked install again and it asked me for my password and again nothing happened! i tried this with other programmes as well and same thing keeps happening, i checked my password and i did type it in correct, can anyone help me please?:confused:

2. Woomy123 thread starter macrumors regular

3. simsaladimbamba

Does it also happen in another, even temporarily created, user account?

4. Woomy123 thread starter macrumors regular

i can't even unlock my system preferences to makes changes:( so no i can't make a second account

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It sounds like you're on a Parental Controls-restricted account.

6. Woomy123 thread starter macrumors regular

no restrictions that i no of, was working fine the other day, and today its acting up, I'm 21 years old and I'm the only person who has access to this mac so no one would have changed any settings

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What app are you trying to install?

8. Woomy123 thread starter macrumors regular

just tried to update adobe flash player, and then tired to update hands off

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you go to Adobe's site to get the update? How exactly are you trying to update apps? By opening the app and then clicking something like "Check for updates"?

10. Woomy123 thread starter macrumors regular

the adobe update thing just popped up so i clicked update as for other apps yes i go within the app and click check for updates, usually they install just fine no problems but now i can't do anything

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's wise to exercise caution about update notifications, as there is a bogus Flash update notification that's floating around which installs a trojan. Here are some security tips that may help:
    1. Make sure your built-in Mac firewall is enabled in System Preferences > Security > Firewall

2. Uncheck "Open "safe" files after downloading" in Safari > Preferences > General

3. Uncheck "Enable Java" in Safari > Preferences > Security. Leave this unchecked until you visit a trusted site that requires Java, then re-enable only for your visit to that site. (This is not to be confused with JavaScript, which you should leave enabled.)

4. Check your DNS settings by reading this.

5. Be careful to only install software from trusted, reputable sites. Never install pirated software. If you're not sure about an app, ask in this forum before installing.

6. Never let someone else have physical access to install anything on your Mac.

7. Always keep your Mac and application software updated. Use Software Update for your Mac software. For other software, it's safer to get updates from the developer's site or from the menu item "Check for updates", rather than installing from any notification window that pops up while you're surfing the web.
    That's all you need to do to keep your Mac completely free of any virus, trojan, spyware, keylogger, or other malware.

12. Woomy123 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for letting me know, but i downloaded the flash player from adobe website and i still cant install it, so its not a trojan or a virus problem i just can't install anything at all

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I assume you've already tried restarting your computer, starting in safe mode, the usual, right?

14. Woomy123 thread starter macrumors regular

yep restarted multiple times and well as safe mode

15. Woomy123 thread starter macrumors regular

i made a quick video so u can see what happening

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlUtCHigM9E

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You've got a one-character password? Not the safest idea. Try changing your password to something with more characters. See if it allows that. If it does, try the new password.

17. Woomy123 thread starter macrumors regular

just changed it to an 8 character password and still nothing

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Try deleting your /Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/com.apple.HIToolbox.plist file and then restart your computer.

Your Library folders are hidden by default in Lion. To get to your /Library or /Users/yourusername/Library (also known as the ~/Library) folders in Lion:
    • Launch Finder and click Go > Go to Folder and type: /Library or ~/Library
    • Hold the Option key while clicking the Go menu item, which reveals your ~/Library folder in the menu.
    • Make it permanently visible by entering the following command in Terminal, then press the Enter key:
      chflags nohidden ~/Library​
    • 18 ways to view the ~/Library folder in Lion

19. Woomy123 thread starter macrumors regular

no change:(

20. Woomy123 thread starter macrumors regular

don't need help with fixing this system lock out anymore, as i have a whole new problem to fix... my hard drive broke so need to buy a new one :( thanks for your help tho

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That could explain your other problem. After you're running with a new drive, let us know if the problem still persists.

22. stumbletown macrumors newbie

Sooooooo... did this ever get resolved? Because I'm having the exact same problem and it's puzzling.