Need help: Cant install W7 on Mac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by freelancer27, Jun 28, 2012.

1. freelancer27 macrumors member

Hi all,

just got my new RMBP and want to install W7 on it.

So I downloaded W7 Ultimate from my company's website. Then I started bootcamp. I inserted a Windows USD external harddrive.

I checked the three items in bootcamp:

- Create a W7 install disk
    - Dowload the lates Windows support software from Apple
    - Install W7

When I go ahead the program tries to for format my external hard drive but always fails saying: "Your bootable USD drive could not be created".

What can I do????

Please I need your help because I need to work with this mac.

Thank you very much.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Do you mean USB drive? I'm guessing that your Mac can't see the drive on boot up, and therefore can't read the files required. I don't use Bootcamp or Windows but many here do...Maybe a direct download to a Windows partition? Others here will help.

3. freelancer27 thread starter macrumors member

I can see the external hard drive but somehow it always fails when Bootcamp wants to use it...

----------

It formats the drive but then when it wants to copy the windows files it fails...

4. AntnyMikal macrumors regular

5. freelancer27 thread starter macrumors member

6. AntnyMikal macrumors regular

Might want to try a different HD or thumb drive. I know quite a few people have said that's worked for them.

I just put W7 ultimate on my MM a few days ago with bootcamp. It didn't like my first thumb drive so went and got a 8gb from Walmart for 8$ and that worked first try.

7. freelancer27 thread starter macrumors member

The iso install file is "just" 3.32GB big. I heard that W7 would take at least 7GB. Why is that?

8. eeclipse16 macrumors member

Follow this video I made, I think your missing A couple steps. You have to reformat the Windows partition before you install W7. I used 2 different USB drives to do my install, one for the drivers and one for W7.

Http://www.youtube.com/diyallday its the first video just hit play.

9. freelancer27 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks,

I was able to install W7 finally. But now I have the problem that I dont know how to get back to Mac OS. When I boot it always boots into the Windows partition.

Plus: Where and how do I get the drivers for Windows (GPU, Wlan cards and all that) to my Mac Book. Can I just use regular drivers or do I need to get special Mac drivers?

Thank you very much for all your help!

10. freelancer27 thread starter macrumors member

So,

I was able to install everything. And W7 seems to run pretty smooth at full resolution.

I just have one last issue:

I made a 50GB partition for W7. Installed W7 and steam and now I have just 9.5GB left of 50GB. WTF!? How come? I thought W7 would just be around 7-9GB big? Where did all my space go?

Thanks for the help