need help changing an icon of a dowloaded app

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by allen2oo3, May 12, 2011.

1. allen2oo3 macrumors newbie

Apr 26, 2011
    i am trying to change the icon for Garmin GPS.

i have gone to: /private/var/mobile/Library/SpringBoard to look up the identifier and it is "com.garmin.GarminMobile"

i then went into the bundles folder of the theme i am using and created a new folder using the identifier.

then i pasted the image i wanted into the folder. this is where i'm a little lost. i tried icon.png Icon.png icon@2x.png and Icon@2x.png and nothing worked.

am i doing this right at all?

thanks in advance
  2. jasvncnt macrumors 6502

Jan 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    Seems right. How is the icon actually named when you go into the app folder? did you go back into Winterboard to respring after?
  3. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Feb 14, 2008
    Madison, WI
    I tried doing this with my Todo icon after they updated to the new design. I was never able to get it to switch. It used to be so easy as long as you had Winterboard. Not sure why it was changed/complicated.

I would love to see a solution to this.
  4. scirica macrumors 68020

May 13, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Agreed. Check the app folder for correct naming, then make sure you deselect and reselect your theme. One last thing, you might consider clearing your icon cache ( in /var/mobile/Library/Caches. Don't worry, it will rebuild on respring.
  5. AnthonySmith macrumors 6502

Feb 25, 2011
    Southern CA
    Also I found you might want to try hitting "Optimize Themes" in Winterboard.
  6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

Oct 31, 2010
    Hamilton, Ontario
    theres another way to theme an icon its not as good as the way your doing sometimes on a respring you will see the old icon for a second before the new one appears in this way but it might work for you

in your theme make a folder called Icons

the call the png whatever the app is called on your springboard case sensitive and if it has a space include that in your png name

example if your theming the photo icon call it Photos.png
  7. allen2oo3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 26, 2011
    thanks everyone for the tips. going into winterboard and re-selecting the theme seemed to do the trick.