Need help changing external hard drive from journaled to regular

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MAG88, Feb 21, 2010.

1. MAG88 macrumors newbie

Hello, I just recently realized that my Seagate external HD is under Mac OS extended (journaled) and not Mac OS extended. I only want to use this device for storage/backup and don't want to run anything off of it. Is there any non-destructive way to change it to just extended? If not, what are some of my alternatives? Thanks.

2. tonyburkhart macrumors regular

tonyburkhart

3. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

Just open up Disk Utility and select the partition you want on the sidebar. Then go under the File menu and there should be an option to Disable Journaling. I just did it myself the other day.

4. MAG88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. It's just that I assumed journaling slows down the drive, making backups last longer. However, does this mean it's more effective in preventing data corruption?

On a side note, I'm planning on partitioning my comp's HD with boot camp. Would it also be better to journal the drive in this case?

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

That's the purpose of journaling, yes. I would leave it enabled.

Journaling is something that's done to partitions, not drives. Whether or not you enable journaling on your backup partition won't affect Windows' FAT32/NTFS partition.

However, I don't think you can run Boot Camp from an external hard drive.

6. 4simonc macrumors newbie

Seagate Expansion External Drive 500 GB

Hi,

I've just bought this external HD today and was hoping to move a lot of the files on my Mac to it. However, every time i drag and drop a folder into the Seagate Expansion icon, as it tells me to do so on the Seagate website, it will not allow anything to go in.

For instance, i want to move my entire iTunes folder onto the external hard drive and when i do it displays the message, 'The item "iTunes" could not be moved because "Expansion Drive" cannot be modified."

Any help? I really need to free up space on the computer's hard drive as i can't even save a word document it's so full..

Thanks

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

The new drive is probably NTFS-formatted, to which Mac OS X can't write without third-party drivers. If you're going to be using the drive exclusively with Macs, format it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with Disk Utility. To do so, select the drive in the left-hand list and click the Erase tab.

In future, try not to let your system hard drive fill beyond 90% of capacity. Doing so will slow your computer down and may make it unstable.

8. 4simonc macrumors newbie

Thanks!

@BlueRevolution

Did what you said as i am using the hard drive exclusively for my own mac. Now all works and have started transferring files from the mac's hard drive to the external.

Just wondering... i have another question concerning iTunes. I copied my iTunes folder (est. 30 GB) to the external hard drive and stupidly, without checking iTunes i deleted the same folder of the macs hard drive and emptied the trash. Now when i try to play a song it says i have to locate the file singularly although it is on the ext. HD which is plugged in. Is there anyway that you know where i can locate all files at once and play the music from iTunes through the ext. HD?

Thanks again for the answer to the previous question and yes, +90% really does slow it! It's been slow for a while!

9. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

10. 4simonc macrumors newbie

Thank you, i'm sure this will do the job. Currently changing it back to /music now and will then do the process. Thanks for your time!

11. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Why do you think journaling severely slows down your HD?

Considering you seem to have an over-full HD, making some space will have a far greater effect than any tinkering with journaling. I'd rather have my HD be better protected against accidental shutdowns and crashes.

12. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

The OP wanted to disable journaling; 4simonc just hopped on the thread and asked a somewhat unrelated question. I don't think he's dealing with journaling issues.