Need help changing IP address in Airport on my laptop.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by piperboy, Aug 15, 2009.

1. piperboy macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a MacBookPro running OSX 10.5.8 and I've been connecting wirelessly with my NETGEAR Wireless N Router (WNR2000) for the past week but then all of a sudden I'm not able to connect to the internet anymore. I keep getting this message "you have a self assigned IP Address but may not be able to connect to the internet."

I've done all the basic troubleshooting with resetting the Router to factory setting and also unplugged and restarted my modem and Router and laptop.

I've called my ISP (Time Warner Cable) and they've gone through the same troubleshooting with me. I know my internet works as I've been using Ethernet and it works. The person over at Time Warner and she said that my internet and even Netgear wireless router is giving the right IP address but when i checked my network settings on my computer, the IPv4 address is this: 169.254.52.45.

I've checked on various sites and i found that IP that starts with 169.254.xxx is the default setting for airports. I don't know how to set the right IP on my airport on my laptop? It's annoying because I've tried setting my airport on my laptop USING DHCP with manual address with the correct IP from my ethernet connection but doesn't seem to work. I'm at the end of the ropes before smashing my router and computer to a million pieces. Please help me.

thanks in advance

2. crewrules101 macrumors member

If I remember correctly, most routers start their ip addresses with 192.168.x.x. Look at the users manual that came with your router, and see what it says. also another way to do this is to connect to it over ethernet and see what the IP address of your computer is when it is connected. Then go into the Airport settings and make sure that DHCP is selected under advanced properties. If this does not clear it up, you can try DHCP with manual address and set it manually to something along the lines of 192.168.x.x, adjusting the x's so that they match the IP address you were using on ethernet.

PM me if you need any more help.

-Scott

3. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

A 169.254.0.0/24 address is a self-assigned IP address. That means either your laptop can't see a valid DHCP server or it's not assigning addresses properly. I would suggest power cycling the wireless router if you haven't tried that already. If that doesn't work you could always try manually giving yourself an IP within the block your router is handing out (Usually 192.168.x.x as pointed out by the previous poster) and seeing if you can get any access.

4. piperboy thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks scott, I tried all those things already. I connected with ethernet and the ip is 66.61.41.xx. but when i use my airport it goes to the same IP which the Time warner person said it's the right one and she could somehow check that my Router is giving the right IP address too.

Guiyon I also entered the right IP manually and it doesn't work. I made an appointment with the Mac Genius on Tuesday. I have no idea what to do now hope they are able to help otherwise I'm just going to return the netgear and buy an airport extreme but i read in a few forums that they cause the same problems. I'm thinking of switching to PC now and screw MACs forever!

thanks for your help. Any other suggestions would be appreciated as well.

5. belvdr macrumors 603

Then it sounds like your machine is not associating with your AP correctly. Have you checked your wireless settings to ensure security and the SSID is setup correctly?