Need Help Changing The Default App

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stocky, Sep 11, 2007.

1. stocky macrumors newbie

I installed Quark 7 but still want all Quark docs to open in Quark 6.5 by default. But double-clicking them forces them to open in v7.

When I try "Get Info -> Open With -> Change all" the get Info dialog automatically reverts back to Quark 7.

Im thinking it probably has something to do with launch services, and was wondering if there was a terminal command or anything that might help me change the default application.

2. jonnylink macrumors 6502

3. stocky thread starter macrumors newbie

I checked that out along with Filebuddy but since the resource and creator types are the same it doesnt seem to work for me

4. stocky thread starter macrumors newbie

When I tried "Get Info -> Open With -> Change all" the get Info dialog automatically reverts back to Quark 7 after I open v7.
    Ive tried progams such as RCDeaultapp and Filebuddy to no avail because of the type and creator codes being the same.

If I could somehow change change launch services to think only 6.5 exists to open a doc then I could always open with it UNLESS it is a v7 document in which case I could drag to it

In essence i dont want people opening 6.5 docs in 7 by accident but have the ability to open a v7 doc if thats what they are sent

5. stocky thread starter macrumors newbie

6. stocky thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply

And here are more details. I have a multiuser environment of 10+ employees all happily using Quark 6.5, all of the advertising agencies i deal with are still using 6.5 with one small exception.
    This small exception sends me 10 docs in 7 per week. We have purchased 2 copies of quark 7 just for this one exception having disastourous consequences when back saving from v7 to 6.5. I am leery of doing that on a day to day basis.

In summery if an operator mistakenly double clicks a quark 6.5 doc off the server, opens it in 7 and saves. it renders the document useless to the rest of my shop and the agency if the want the doc back in return.

Thank you for all your feedback