Need help choosing 13" retina Macbook Pro!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nilok64, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Nilok64 macrumors member

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a 13" retina Macbook Pro, but I'm limited on my budget. I'm debating between a refurb October 2012 model or the new one announced today. The new one is about $230 extra with taxes compared to the old one. These are both base models. From what I gather, the new ones have 4GB less ram, but a slightly better processor and a lot better graphics? I don't plan on gaming, but I want a computer that is snappy and runs smooth.

What do you guys think is the better deal? Will I see a huge jump in performance going with the one released today or should I save my money and go with the October release model?

Thanks! :apple:

2. Nilok64 thread starter macrumors member

Anyone? Also, if I buy today on the apple store isn't there a chance I get a new one?

3. IJBrekke macrumors 6502

I would say get no less than 8gb of RAM since you cannot upgrade it later, so the debate is really between the Oct 2012 refurb and the base model with with upgraded RAM.

What will you use it for?

4. Nilok64 thread starter macrumors member

5. Nilok64 thread starter macrumors member

Is the new base 2013 13" with upgraded 8GB ram worth $240 extra for my purposes over the dec 2012 retina model? I don't plan on gaming, I just want a smooth experience. The only thing that worries me is the intel 4000. I want to order today, any advice will help.

thanks,

6. Nilok64 thread starter macrumors member

I'm currently leaning towards the refurb, but I would appreciate any suggestions.

7. Laco macrumors 6502

For the tasks you describe I Intel HD 4000 is completely sufficient. If I was in your position I would probably go for the refurbished.

8. Nilok64 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Laco. I was just afraid of getting the refurb as I remember reading a review saying that the intel 4000 was not powerful enough to drive the retina display and caused lag, which would bother me. I am not a power user, but I want everything to be smooth.

9. Laco macrumors 6502

The vast majority of users and experts believe that the reason for the lag was a software rather than a hardware issue. Also from my sense only a tiny proportion of users actually noticed any lag at all. But if you buy it from Apple you can always return it withing 14 days if you notice any lag. I would not worry about this.

10. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I disagree about getting the refurb.

For $230 more, there are just so many differences between the two machines now and the refurb doesn't make sense. Keep in mind your purchase will need to last you a few years. And because of your frugal nature (which I applaud) I'm guessing you'll have it longer than most. Also, you're buying at the front end of refresh and the resale value will hold it bit longer.