need help choosing a A/D recorder.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by stefmesman, Dec 6, 2010.

1. stefmesman macrumors 6502

so, i got some old tapes stacked up in the closet with VHS, Hi8 and Video 8 footage. i want to put them on my imac using a A/D converter. (imac i7 quad)

ive seen many of them by blackmagic, grassvalley/canopus, elgato and roxio.

my budget is around 200. anyone got tips on what to buy/why? and what to look out for? i know alot about digital video. but my knowledge on analog video is minimal. what is the benefit on spending more money on these? the knowledge they give on the website is really minimal. i will be processing the footage in prores 422 on final cut studio.

please help me make my decision

thanks! :)

2. xStep macrumors 68000

The preference is to get one with a Time Base Corrector. This keeps the audio in sync with the picture. This feature adds a great deal to the price.

I wonder if by using one with a Firewire connection that you could import straight into FCP and Prores. Does anyone have a definitive answer to that?

3. boch82 macrumors 6502

i use a pyro A/D box....its about 5 years old and still works perfectly.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...og_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CDsQ8wIwAw#

I havent tried it with iMovie but it works with FCP and AVID perfectly.

A TBC is a waste of money for what you are trying to do. The TBC is a professional device that is meant for professional analog formats such as Beta SP, DVC Pro (via analog signal). The only benefit that you would get is the ability to adjust color and video levels before the video hits the computer.

4. stefmesman thread starter macrumors 6502

what codec and container does the pyro record? i guess its MOV as container. any other things i need to worry about? is there any way to enhance my footage in post? (quality wise)

edit: just noticed its DV in the specs

so whats up with the great price difference between these devices?

5. stefmesman thread starter macrumors 6502

ust noticed that i can also use the EyeTV HD for recording... any recommendations?

6. xStep macrumors 68000

I've used my EyeTV Hybrid to record video with nice results. The problem is that you then need to convert it to another format for use in an editor.

As far as the TBC goes, do your own research to decide if the benefits are worth the cost. It isn't just meant for pro analog sources.

7. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

I have a Canopus ADVC 110 that works quite well. Canopus to Mac via Firewire; Canopus to video monitor via composite out; VHS to Canopus via composite.

Alternatively, a VHS/DVD recorder combo unit does a great job. You just need MPEG Streamclip and the MPEG 2 QuickTime component to bring in the DVD and do any conversions required and you're set.