Need help choosing a motorbike!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TheSVD, Aug 21, 2009.

1. TheSVD macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

Hey, i couldn't be bothered joining some motorbike forum or whatever, and it seems people here have an extensive knowledge of everything so i thought why not :D And i noticed alot of people already have motorbikes too :) Im in the UK by the way, too.

Anyway, after deciding not to get a car for now (yes i've made up my mind - please dont try to convince me :D) Im going to get a motorbike. I simply need help choosing one, as i have no idea what to look out for!
    So, heres the rundown -

• It needs to be 125cc, unless i can get a 250 for the same kinda prices
    • It needs to be reliable, id rather it not fall to bits :p
    • I have no real budget, so cheap as possible - but i guess anywhere up to 800-1000, 1000 REALLY pushing it
    • Ill probably use autotrader to buy it
    • Ill need things to look out for - decent milage ( i have no idea what one is on a bike), dodgy things, etc
    • cheap to insure

So if anyone could just suggest me some models, some advice etc, that would be great. Thanksss :)

2. bamaworks macrumors 6502

Well I don't know about the UK, but in the USA one can get a very decent Kawasaki Ninja 250 for about 1300 euro or so... cheaper depending on the year model. Would be reasonably fast and gets great mileage. I think a 2010 retails for 2700 euro (in the US) so one with a few miles and a few years you could get in your range. Great starter bike, and looks neat too!

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

4. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

My girlfriend learnt to ride on a suzuki gs125, I'm inheriting the thing once I get my CBT done, seems to be a fairly solid and cheap to run bike.

Do you have a proper licence? You won't be able to ride a 250 unless you do a category A at least, it's not really worth it in this country.

5. wfoster macrumors 6502a

wfoster

What kind of bike? You're not wanting anything like a Yamaha DT125 or KX125? Aprillia RS 125 - not sure how much they are but they're great bikes.

6. TheSVD thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

quite literally, just a neat, cheap, reliable 125 (not 2 stroke!) to get me from A to B. I just dont know what to choose :D

7. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Depending on your 'style', I'd either find a used Ninja 250 (I assume your 1000 was in pounds, thus 1600 dollars), you'd be able to find a pretty decent one within your price range. Alternatively, a dual-sport could be fun.

8. stevegmu macrumors regular

Something like this is probably your best bet-

Code:
    http://www.local.thesun.co.uk/view/aprilia-af-125cc-l-reg/1532552685/uk/

9. Queso macrumors G4

Honda CG125. It's four stroke and you should be able to pick up a good one for around £800 private sale.

MCN Classifieds

10. TheSVD thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

i like that honda CG :)
    ifi want to keep it for a few years, whats a reasonable amount of miles for it to already have driven? say a range of X000-X000 please? :D

11. Queso macrumors G4

The thing with 125s is that there tends to be a lot of older second hand examples with quite low mileage, because quite a few owners do less than 1000 miles a year on them. I remember my first bike was seven years old when I bought it but it only had around 2500 miles on the clock.

Shop around and don't lock your options to a particular year. You should be able to get one with less than 5000 easily enough and still stay below your budget.

12. Joyus macrumors newbie

I agree with Riderwear...I currently have loads of gear to ride on my bike. I got a one piece leather suit, a leather jacket, texile trousers and jacket, 2 different sets of gloves and boots...and also a helmet. If you have ever riden a bike before, you'll know that you dont really wanna be wearing leather in the rain, you get cold and then you'll lose concerntration. so you wanna have different clothes to wear in different weather condiditons.

IMO you cant go cheap with your gear! as its your life your skinting out on! my gear cost me a good part of 2k. so you need to bear this is mind by your buying your bike.

As for the bike, i'd go Honda. I have found through experience they seem to be ahead of the other manufacters.

When buying a second hand bike...check the tyres and chain.

13. TheSVD thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

cool thanks man :)
    ill remember that!
    yeah i heard a bike in the rain is not so good :(

noob question... what exactly am i checking about the tyres and chain?
    also, noone has answered my question!
    what is a reasonable amount of miles to have on a bike clock?

14. Joyus macrumors newbie

With regards to the tyres you wanna make sure they are not wore down if they are get them replaced, could cost an extra £200 on top of the bike if they need changing...check they are a decent brand. They are so important when riding. Chain needs to be well oiled and the linkages not wore down. Then its the standard thing when your buying a bike or car...decent condition...idles ok, brakes...etc

I bought my CBR from brand new back in april 08, and i got 4k on it...so i would say 4-5k for a year old bike.

15. Queso macrumors G4

£200? Tyres for a CBR certainly cost that, but for a 125 they are quite a bit cheaper.

16. morgothaod macrumors regular

17. Queso macrumors G4

Or safer still, never get out of bed :p

18. TheSVD thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

"Anyway, after deciding not to get a car for now (yes i've made up my mind - please dont try to convince me )"

19. TheSVD thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

need to revive this thread!
    yeah im settling with the honda CG.
    ive seen alot of reviews for it and stuff and it seems its okay for the old a/b road run. JUst not fast enough for dual carriageways!
    but, is there any way i could increase the power a little? (legally, safely) so i could be just a little faster on the roads? cheers :D