Need Help choosing a new MacBook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hypeofflyfe, Nov 12, 2016.

1. hypeofflyfe macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone!

I need help choosing a new MacBook pro. So I currently have a late 2012 13in retina MacBook pro 2.5 i5 8gb of RAM and 128gb of storage. I do know that I will need to get 16gb of RAM I am looking to get a the need 15in or 13in MacBook pro. I don't know which one will fit my current need. I am a grad student in psychology so i would be using the MacBook for basic uses and using kodi. But I also want to get into using Final cut pro for video editing and running bootcamp for windows 10 and. I also want to use the Windows 10 for playing xbox games time to time. I just want to know what would be a good configuration for my usage.

Thanks in Advance

2. deany, Nov 12, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2016

deany macrumors 68030

deany

Do you take your rMBP to college?
    I would prefer my 13" rMPB if carrying around a lot.
    I love the screen size but we are all different.
    Would be interested to know which the most popular size is I would guess 13" by about 55 units to 45 units approx out of 100
    ps
    where have you been the last 4 years! hope you stick around more often.

3. iizmoo macrumors 6502

Helps if you tell us your budget and priorities.

You can do pretty much all those things you mentioned on the 2012 MBP just fine. Getting a new computer's all about it being shiny, so the major determination factor is how much $$$ you're willing to spend.

4. asidexo macrumors member

Question, do you feel you need the 16gb for your grad school purposes or is it more for your video editing and gaming needs. I ask because I find myself in need of a new computer as an upperclassman psychology major. I hope to go into grad school for Psych in the next 2 years or so and want a computer that will transition with me and am deciding which macbook pro to get myself.

5. ixxx69 macrumors 6502a

If your really serious about the video editing and gaming, you'll want the 15" with the better GPU (and by video editing, I mean more than a 5 minute youtube/vacation video).

But I agree with another poster that if you're going to be carrying the laptop with you all over campus or to the coffee house every day, the smaller & lighter 13" is going to really be appreciated (for most people).

As far as your studies go, even a MacBook would be plenty.

6. hypeofflyfe thread starter macrumors newbie

@iizmoo HAHA figured that I would upgrade after 4 year and just give my MacBook to my dad. I will be taking my MacBook to school but size doesn't bother me much. I really don't have a budget but wouldn't mind saving a few dollars . My main priorities would be for school and I video editing as a hobby and to help friends out, I want to be able to run bootcamp with limited lag especially when using it to play xbox.

I am upgrading my Ram because with my current usage I keep a lot of tabs and application opened at the same time. @asidexo Yeah I understand I got the mac I am using in high school and it has done an awesome job even to now. I am just looking to upgrade to something new where I can have more Ram and internal storage. I am looking into applying to doctoral programs after i graduate next year do I know what ever mack i ended up getting will do great job at the end of the day with that.

7. deany macrumors 68030

deany

Sounds like your sold on the 15" perhaps you wont be carrying it around much?
    Ask yourself how long do you want to keep the computer and then buy the model with the future in mind.
    To me 16GB RAM is a must, to future proof. Even if it wont be used initially.
    If the 15" processor choice was available for the 13" would you go for the 13" and why?