Need Help Choosing Electricity Company

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by xboxer75010, Mar 10, 2009.

1. xboxer75010 macrumors 6502

xboxer75010

What are some tips you guys can give me when choosing electricity compaany, am about to move out of my parents house and need some tips on how to choose and what to look out for. :confused:

2. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

3. xboxer75010 thread starter macrumors 6502

xboxer75010

Yeah, its a house. Doesn't everyone?

Also I'm in Texas.

4. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

No, I've never been able to choose an electric company. Or any of the basic utilities, now that I think of it. (Elec, water, gas, etc)

I don't suppose they do anything like post their rates, do they? That would make things easier.

On a side note: Am I the only old timer who saw this thread and immediately thought of the TV show? HEY YOOOOOOOU GUUUUUUUUUUYYYSS!!!!

5. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

You can choose; its just not as obvious but there all the same so it really doesn't matter

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well google power companys in Texas. It give you a few sites that give you several companies offers.

I would chose the one with the cheapest fix rate for like 12 month contract. It worked out great for me last year. I had a fix rate of 11.6 cents per Kwh. During the summer when prices where spiking to 18 cents for some people I was getting power below market rate.

7. huntnboy04 macrumors regular

the one that is not involved in the stock market.., where I'm originally from we had a power company that wasn't trying to impress wall street with their profits. The one that was, was more expensive.

8. jabrowntx macrumors 6502

Go to http://www.powertochoose.org/. Check out the "Go Directly To Offers" link - it'll show you all of the companies and all of the plans and rates.

9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Are any of them public? If so, I would incline toward that option.

10. xboxer75010 thread starter macrumors 6502

xboxer75010

I went to the site and it gives lots of choices but Kinetic Energy seams to be cheapest, anyone heard of them? Here is what they offer:

11. spyderdsm macrumors member

only 1 company can own and maintain the power lines and they will charge you a "delivery" charge regardless of what supplier you choose...