Need help choosing eSATA RAID enclosure !!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by blimeyoriley, Apr 29, 2009.

1. blimeyoriley macrumors member

Hey well basically im buying a striped RAID setup for my MBP and have ordered everything except for the actual enclosure !!!

Ive heard a couple things

1st - the enclosures with specifically an OXFORD chipset deliver better performance.

An example is this ICY DOCK enclosure that seems quite popular: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817198031

2nd - enclosures with just an eSATA port deliver better performance than those with multiple ports such as combined eSATA & USB.

Apparently this is due to the bridging interface, and performance can be reduced by up to 7% when using eSATA with a multiple port enclosure.

So as i am using striped RAID i need an enclosure with 2 bays, with the only external connection being eSATA

Not really big on chipsets so might be wrong about the whole OXFORD being better thing - just something i heard

But yea any recommendations / experiences would be great !!!

Thank you !!!!

2. buxtone17 macrumors regular

Another thought for you: What if your enclosure fails and knocks out both of your drives?

That's why I just mirror my data on two separate drives.

Of course, I'm extremely paranoid about losing my data, so you know...

3. blimeyoriley thread starter macrumors member

haha thanks but none of the data on the drive is that sensitive / crucial to me, otherwise i would go for a mirrored RAID