Need help choosing good headphones

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Alex1337, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Alex1337 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, I am here today because I am not exactly an expert in choosing earphones, so I was hoping to get some opinions from people who actually know what they're saying. I've recently searched around and was thinking of getting Bose, Beads, but then I read that they're pretty much just all eye candy instead of actually providing good, great, excellent, quality or what have you. I have a budget of 100$ give or take, absolute MAX is 150$ , but I would very much love any suggestions to stay well around the 100$ area unless the suggested ones absolutely blow the others away then I don't mind. I've also looked around and have liked what I hear about Sennheiser, hopefully any Sennheiser owners might be able to provide some feedback as to which are best for my budget.

Extra notes: I mostly listen to Electronic, House, Trance, Rock, Hardstyle, Dubstep, and the occasional rap, so maybe something that will be good for heavy bass? I'm not sure, hope to hear some suggestions, Thanks in advance!

2. PAPO macrumors 6502

don't waste your money on bose, imo they're not as horrible as most people around here think but they are over priced for what you get.

I don't know where you're from so I'm not sure what the local prices are, and you haven't mentioned what type of headphones you'd like, personally I'd recommend a pair of AKG Q460's

3. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

An ultrasone HF-580 will do what the beats do but with much clearer sound and larger soundstaging.

4. mrTortex macrumors newbie

Grado Labs, every time. I have never heard anything better, and I've tried many. The baby Grado's at around $100 are incredible.

5. proximo macrumors member

6. Tydog07 macrumors 6502

Those or the Denon Ahd1100, I have those right now but I also recommend those Audio Technica's!

7. Destroysall macrumors 65816

Destroysall

You seem to be a basshead, and a lover of Electronic music and the like..your best bet would be the Ultrasone HFI-580. They can do Rock decently, but they fit the majority of your music.

8. ChrisA, Mar 28, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012

ChrisA macrumors G4

Remember that most people have not tried more than a few headphones.

Your first step is to narro down the 'type" you need then pick a brand and model. So answer this questions:

1) Do you like "in-ear", "on-ear" or "around the era" type pads. I can't stand the "on ear" type but I have several of each of the other two type

2) Can you use "open" headphones or do you need "close" type. The open kind leak sound in both directions and should not be used around an open mic when recording or in noisy listening environments. The close type isolate the sound beter. But for any given sound quality a good closed pair will cost double what an open pair cost. You get best sound per dolar spent with the "open kind" but if you need the isolation you can't use them.

For $100 budget I like the AKG K240. They sell for $99.99. These are a "standard" for recording engineers who work in studios. They need acurate sound and work in a good environment. But they'd never be used by a performer as the sound would spill into the microphone. The K240 sound like you are listening to a very good monitor speakers because you are still aware of the room.

Home users may want a closed pair to seal out noise from a TV set in another room. But expect to spend at least $200 for decent closed headphones. Also many home users, or consumers don't like the accurate sound of studio headphones. They prefer an exaggerated bass or even the attenuated mids sound of Bose.

But if you decide you want "over the ears", "open" and "accurate" and have $100 budget, then AKG K240 is one to look at. They have been a "standard" in the industry for decades.
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/K240S

9. PAPO macrumors 6502

you are kidding right??? beats are WAAAAAY over priced and the top of the lime beats don't sound half as good as my AKG Q460's which are less than half the price

10. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

This would be my choice, too.

11. ChrisA macrumors G4

As I wrote above. Many consumers, that means people who are not mixing sound or editing video, but just listening actually prefer non-acurate headphones that have an exaggerated bass or the Bose style "missing mids".

My opinion is that if you think cheap headphones sound OK you are lucky. You can save a pile of money.

For casual listing, we can describe the sound as "bass heavy" or open or "lets the sound of the room in" but we can't say which is "best".

12. PAPO macrumors 6502

yes but beats not only are less accurate but distorted and muddy, my Q460's a moderately accurate, but still appropriate for your average consumer, everyone who tries them RAVES about the bass which is clean and punchy, but surprisingly not too exaggerated (given what people seem to think of it)

my point is the 460's are better in EVERY way to any beats headphones and are MUCH better value (in regards to sound, and there are other options for people who want other styles of headphones that will also be better in ever way to any pair of beats)

13. androiphone macrumors 65816

obvious spam is obvious, the whole site dodgy because of the URL but this is a new user with five posts all promoting beats culminating in promoting that one site.

14. jasper2012 macrumors newbie

find a place to demo them yourself to try your own music on them

15. KidCharlemagne macrumors newbie

Take a look at Head Room... www.headphone.com

They've got great reviews and recommendations.

Personally I love the Shure SRH840's and the Sony MDR-7506's. I have both. They sound great and they're comfortable, especially the Sony's.

I also use Audio Technica ATH-ANC7b's for noise-cancelling. They're decent but don't sound as good as the others.

Sennheiser also makes great stuff.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but I would generally avoid anything at Best Buy. Do some research online and order from a place that easily allows returns, like Head Room. They'll let you return the cans if you don't like them.

16. PAPO macrumors 6502

imo returns online are a giant pain, you have to post the thing ect. if you want to be able to try/ return go with a brick and mortar store, that being said some headphones need a burn in/ break in period, my Q701's (apparently) need 200 hours (but they stated to open up at around 50, with a noticeable change as soon as 10)

17. Destroysall macrumors 65816

Destroysall

I'd second the recommendation of ordering online. Personally, I'd recommend trying eBay, Amazon, HeadRoom, or even the For Sale forum on Head-Fi.

For recommendations, check out Headfonia.com