Need help choosing ideal Mac for large scale print work!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Scottsworth, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Scottsworth macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, I am currently looking to replace my outdated PowerBook but I am overwhelmed by all the options available! I am a graphic design student, and I want to be able to do large scale print work in photoshop (12×18" @ 300dpi and up) without excessive slowdown.

I'm really interested in the Macbook pro (because of its portability), and I wanted to if the pro line could handle such large files, or if I'm better off served going with a desktop. I was also considering building my own pc, but I've had very poor experience with Windows in the past.

Also, are upgrades such as 8g ram or SSD's worth it on the Macbook Pro?

Thanks a lot, I really need some expert opinions on this!

2. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

If you can hang on a few weeks, there are likely to be new MBPs (speed bumps)

3. Scottsworth thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, but doesn't Apple usually wait until late summer/fall to announce their new product lines?

Also, do you have any idea how the existing macbooks are performance wise in photoshop?

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Apple launch when there is new technology, mostly processors. New notebook processors launched this past week.

5. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Lots of tests here.

http://www.barefeats.com/

12 x 18 @ 300 dpi = 60 megs = not all that big.

Any Mac made in the last couple of years would work just fine.

You have a budget? That you want to stay in?

I run the entire Adobe Creative Suite + Quark 8 on a 2.4 AL iMac w/4 gigs ram and it handles it all without even breaking a sweat. And I'm talking multi hundred meg Photoshop files and 100+ page Quark files with gigs of links. Not some crappy little 72 dpi web graphics and a few 3 panel brochures.

6. Scottsworth thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the Help!

My first post was a little misleading. What I meant was that 12X18 would be on the small end, as I want to do concert posters at least 24X36. The only reason I had doubts that the macbook could handle this is because I have read that some files (if the designer uses multiple photographs and many layer masks, blending modes etc.) can reach multiple gigs in size. From what you are saying though, I probably have nothing to worry about.

Also, i've heard that some designers use a scratch drive while using photoshop to increase performance?

As far as budget, I want to try and keep it under $2500, preferably closer to $2000, but if someone makes a good enough argument, i'd consider spending more (like if the ssd or extra ram upgrades are worth the money).