Need help choosing MBP (13vs15'')

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Yoh, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Yoh macrumors member

Im using a 3-4 years old HP. Been looking/waiting for the new MBP since January... and here it is... initially, I was looking to buy the base 13'' instantly thinking that it will use the i5 and have better graphic cards... now im one of those shocked 13'' fanboys...

My uses are simple (college student):
    Basic Microsoft Office / Internet
    Want it to run the coming blizzard games decently (SC2 / Diablo3)
    Other misc uses... iphoto, garage band, etc etc etc but no professional stuff

I want the 13'' because its portable, small, light... and also cheap... but im afraid that the CPU/GPU wont be good enough

I want the 15'' because its... better? but at the same time its a lot more expensive and bulky...

2. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

You really weighed the pros and cons pretty good.

So it depends on portability or function and speed. The 15" isn't really that much bigger than the 13". Since I already have a homebound laptop, I wanted portability and that's why I got the 13".

If this is going to be your primary laptop, I would consider the new 15" MBP with the i5. VERY nice!!

3. dendritic cells macrumors member

4. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

The new 15" MBP looks like a great machine. It is also going to age significantly better than the 13" model with its C2D CPU.

5. Yoh thread starter macrumors member

Im leaning towards the 13''... but C2D~~~~ i guess ill have to justify myself with the price? + education discount :eek:

but im still afraid of the GPU... does the lack of dedicated memory screw me up gaming-wise? or does it not matter that much?

6. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Yep. Unless you are playing Pong.

7. Yoh thread starter macrumors member

-_-

how so? laggier? worse graphics?

what if the benchmark comes out decent?

and if your free... explain dedicated graphics? >.< im a noob... it just goes to use the main RAM right? so if im not doing much / multitasking when gaming then it shouldnt be too bad? with 4GB....

8. MacW macrumors newbie

You weighed it out very well there. I'm having the same problem at the moment.
    I did not expect apple to put anything less than an i3 into the 13" with i5 optional.
    If an i5 would have been possible, it would have been a no brainer for me. But now I'm heavily considering the 15" as well.
    Personally I'm also going to run Aperture 3 on it, with my 120 GB aperture vault still locked away on my external drive. Together with SC2 and Diablo 3, I'm doubting whether or not the C2D is good enough.

I'm borderlining between needing and wanting. I want an up to date (as far as apple goes on up to date) MBP. And I want it to be as portable as possible. But I just need a MBP that runs Aperture and upcoming Blizzard games.

Running these on a 13" is most likely possible, but not as smooth as I'd like.
    The 15" with an i7 makes it a lot smoother, but makes the MBP less portable and more pricey.

Decisions decisions. :/ I call it luxury problems.

9. iSax1234 macrumors regular

I was in your situation, I was going to buy the 13 inch after the update hoping for better graphics and then stick a 80 gb intel ssd for applications and get a good external for my data........ then the update came along

Originally the best 13 in and the base 15 were distanced by 200 bucks and 2 inches of screen and better res. Now they are seperated by 300 dollars better graphics, better screen, better processor. Once I saw this i decided.....

The 13 in is ok but in the long run I can't go wrong 400 bucks more (including high res screen). The 15 in has A Lot more power and will be a lot better in terms of gaming. Once steam comes out for MAC it may draw you to gaming even more so you want to be able to plat and enjoy those games instead of smacking your MBP with frustration.

Finally, If I were you go for the 15in you're talking around 2k with AppleCare and High Res screen. This computer will last you and your games much longer and I believe you'll be happy with the speed and you gaming. As well wait for like the next year or two (or even now if you can afford it) pop a SSD in there and look at your JAW DroP

10. Yoh thread starter macrumors member

yea... with apple care 2k+.... TWICE THE PRICE T_T

anyways... still deciding... i think im like 70% 13in'' still....

i guess i gotta wait for the 320m benchmark... any guesses on when that will come out and where (fastest)?

Edit: Also, it would be great if someone could educate me about the dedicated memory so i can decide better:

(regarding 320M with no dedicated)
    "how so? laggier? worse graphics?

what if the benchmark comes out decent?

and if your free... explain dedicated graphics? >.< im a noob... it just goes to use the main RAM right? so if im not doing much / multitasking when gaming then it shouldnt be too bad? with 4GB...."

11. MacW macrumors newbie

I'm also starting to think more about the 13" again.
    Aperture 3 will work fine on the C2D and I guess I will be ok with the blizzard games on a bit less fireworksfuel.
    Maybe I'll spend the difference in price on a nice surf holiday to a tropical island. Just to get the tuesday stress of my back again. :)

12. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Early benchmarks show that the 2010 Macbook Pro 13" is SLIGHTLY better than the 2009 Macbook Pro 13" equivalent, CPU wise. Graphics is probably around 50% better. Either way, it is no gaming machine. For Microsoft Office (or Pages), Internet, GarageBand etc you will probably end up using about 10% of available power.

From Blizzard
    As Diablo 3 is based on a new engine, and no System Requirements have been reported yet, no one can tell if you will be able to run those games. You won't be able to run at full settings, for sure.