Need help choosing MBP :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NikiMac, Oct 25, 2011.

1. NikiMac, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011

NikiMac macrumors newbie

Hi I'm looking for some of your expert advice on purchasing a MBP, I've decided to take the plunge and leave the PC!!! I am a photographer and will be using my MBP to edit photos, videos and some other work. Some say it's overkill and why not just get an MBA but I really like the MBP and 15 is a prefect fit...so far it's come down to 2 models and options

Option #1
    MBP 15' Higher-End (early 2011)
    i7 2.2ghz
    4GB
    750GB HD
    Radeon 6750M 1GB VRAM
    Total Price $1840 (OPEN BOX, but cycle count is only 2 it was sitting since March 2011)

Option #2
    MBP 15' Lower-End (NEW)
    i7 2.2ghz
    4GB
    500GB HD
    Radeon 6750M 512MB
    Total Price $1700

Pretty close specs, I have an external so the HDD space isn't a biggy but what would you guys say is better? The $140 more for the additional 512MB VRAM open box or should I get the new non-open boxed refreshed MBP that costs $140 less with less vram?

2. warvanov macrumors 6502a

I would definitely say option #1, but you have two option #1's so that makes it tricky.

3. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

The early 2011 high-end beats the late 2011 low-end. More VRAM, for example.
    I'm assuming the "cycle count" refers to the battery, which means it's practically brand new.
    You can also transfer the remaining warranty from the original owner.

Go with the high-end early 2011.

Who cares if it's open box? As long as it works and doesn't have scratches on it, it's fine. :p

4. rex450se macrumors regular

Personally I would go with the new one. I very rarely would buy something second hand, even if it is that new. I just have trouble buying something that I am not 100% sure of it's history. Why would someone be getting rid of it so quick and why did it just sit around? Where there issues with it?

Victor

5. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

If there were issues with it, then Apple would have replaced it for free.
    If it wasn't replaced, ask for the serial number and do a warranty check. If it's valid, then get the early 2011.

6. NikiMac thread starter macrumors newbie

I checked, the store said they don't know why it was returned, it looks new and runs new but it does concern me that it was there since March (I know because I ran a serial number on it with Apple and it says it was actually registered in March)

----------

Yeah it wasn't replaced, it was just registered in March 2011, phone support showed expired also....this is from a retails store open box so I'd assume the warranty begins when I would buy it