Need help choosing MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Knighty8, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Knighty8 macrumors newbie

Hi ladies and gentlemen,

I am looking at getting a rMBP 15" and just need some general advise on if it will be able to handle my needs..

I will be using the machine to do a fair bit of graphics work on Photoshop and a lot of C++ coding on it..

I will also be looking at playing WoW casually on the machine and will watch some movies from time to time..

As all these program's probably wouldn't fit on a SSD (I don't think?) would it be possible to run these program's off of an external HDD?

What MacBook Pro would be best for me? What would be the best way to run the program's I need? Would the 15" MBP's be okay for what I need them for?

2. Calltrex macrumors newbie

I edit videos etc

Get the 2.6 version. It also comes with the better video card in it with 1gig memory. Also comes with 8gig ram instead of 4

3. Knighty8 thread starter macrumors newbie

How do you store your software? On the SSD or a Portable HDD?

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The base 2.3GHz processor is fine, but you can go for the 2.6GHz processor if you wish.

I would get 16GB RAM for your Photoshop work.

The base 2.3GHz model comes with a 256GB SSD. It that's not enough, you could upgrade to the 512GB model or use an external drive to store things (though I think the latter would defeat the point of having a thin and light 15" laptop computer). I would skip on the 768GB upgrade because for the same price you can get a 512GB SSD and put that in a USB 3.0/Thunderbolt enclosure.

All the rMBPs come with the same GT 650M GPU with 1GB VRAM and at least 8GB of system RAM.

On the built-in SSD.