Need help choosing my next Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by matt3526, Jun 2, 2014.

1. matt3526 macrumors regular

I have an early 2011 MacBook pro and the time has come to replace it with something else. I'll be travelling to the US in just over a month so my plan is to pick up one there. The question is which one should I get?

I do the usual stuff; web browsing, office etc but I also do some quite heavy computational simulations from time to time, as well as play games casually. I think the top end 15" is just too expensive for me, but the entry level 15" is fine price wise. It does however only come with 250GB of flash storage, and so I was looking at the top end 13". My question is what do you recommend I go with? Either the 13 or 15? Is the Iris pro any good? How does it compare to the 750M?

Thanks,

Matt

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Iris pro is what you want if you play the occasional game, its much better then what comes in the 13" rMBP.

I also think the 15" model is better due to the screen real estate.

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

The answer may be a little cleaner after WWDC announcements today.

4. leman macrumors 604

If you do simulations, the quad core in the 15" might be a good choice (depending on whether your simulation software supports parallel computing). Also, the Iris Pro includes a large L4 cache, which is not GPU exclusive. Especially simulations could benefit from the larger L4 cache, giving you some extra performance. The GPU is enough for some casual gaming, but don't expect to run latest games with good settings.

5. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Sounds like you need a quad-core if you are doing simulations. Iris Pro is better than 750M for compute also, if your program supports the GPU.

750M is better for gaming.

6. JoryG macrumors newbie

Why buy a 2011 MacBook?

My MacBook suffers from the SAME PROBLEM that THOUSANDS of similar Early 2011 MacBooks suffer from. The internet is FULL of this info: The solutions offered by Apple support such as changing the Logic board (which i have done THREE TIMES!) does NOT fix the problem. My warrenty ended in August! And now what? Is this $4,100 fancy machine good for only 2.5 years?! Apple does not acknowledge it's their fault and responsibility. The company should SOLVE the owners problem, even if it means REPLACING the defective MacBooks and PROVIDING THOUSANDS OF new ones to ALL customers affected. I'll be on the watch for any news regarding this Collossal Apple Flap and see what transpires. It seems that the right thing to do is file a Class Action Suit. If not, I will personally sue them for my expenses. I'm disgusted.

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

If you read the original post properly, the OP never said that he wanted to buy a 2011 MBP. The OP says that he currently has a 2011 model and wants to replace it with something else.

Read the original post properly.

And resurrecting an old thread is very much frowned upon.