Need help choosing router for fiber Internet

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jdaniel, Jun 23, 2013.

1. jdaniel macrumors 65816

So we have this Internet service that works via fiber optic cables providing speeds from 100 to 400 Mbps, I was using 10 on my adsl before.

I can't really do traditional wired with the set up I have. Wireless seem to top out at 20 with the net company provided router.

What options do I have?

What about those things that work via your power line any faster?

The new ac thingy won't benefit me unless my mac has that which it doesn't

2. brentsg macrumors 68040

If you can't use wired, then I'd buy the new ac AEBS and you will be set when you have products that use it. It should also provide excellent N.

3. opinio macrumors 65816

An AirPort Extreme should plug straight into fibre. Your fibre provider may use PPPOE or IPoE. Either way it should not need a modem as the 'modem' device is usually supplied by the network at the end of the fibre link. With me it is called a network termination device. I use IPoE and set my Internet to DHCP. Easy.

You can run the AirPort Extreme with a few Airport Expresses running as Wifi range extenders. You can run the expresses either wired or wireless. Wired is better but they are also designed to work well as wireless as well.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

If you want maximum gain, then you might want to consider a Draytek...Not cheap, but very configurable, and will provide a very strong signal.

5. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

I was using my own router which was d link and it did not work for some reason so I am back to using what's provided by my provider here.

Ill look into the options mentioned using AirPort Extreme and express to form like a daisy chain would not quite do what I want I don't think because my mac only does N, so unless I get a N USB adapter it would defeat the purpose of getting higher speeds unless i go wired.

I get max 40-50 Mbps at the moment wireless my goal of using the new ac standard is to get higher wireless speeds wondering if it would do that

----------

Thanks will look into it