Need Help Choosing SSD Size

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by semicolon, Jun 27, 2012.

1. semicolon macrumors newbie

I know there's a million of these, but I've never had a Macbook so I'm not sure...

how much space do apps take up? I know it depends on how many you have, but if you download a few games, some etextbooks, some other miscellaneous apps, are they more like the size of word documents or mp3s?

Assuming I use a program to rip the music from my iPod to my new computer (easier than dealing with my messy and spread out collection on my current computer), I will be filling it with 40.1 gb of my iPod's data.

Since I don't really have anything else except for some photos and documents, I'm thinking 128 gb is probably fine, but it just seems like so little. Is the SSD upgradeable if I decide I need 256 gb later on?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't mention which Mac notebook you're considering and not all of them have aftermarket SSD upgrades available. Remember, you won't have 128GB available on a 128GB drive. After the OS, apps, system files, etc. you'll likely have less than 100GB. 40GB of that for your iPod data leaves 60GB. You should always leave some free space... 10% is good, more is better. Long story short: buy as much storage as you can afford.