Need help choosing videocam

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by kibokibo, Nov 23, 2010.

1. kibokibo macrumors newbie

hi guys,

im very new to this thing. i havent owned a single video camera. i came across Panasonic DVX100 from videos from youtube. i dont know if this is a right one for me. i do sound for church and once in a while we have special occasions for concerts and even events at church. i dont know if this is the right videocam for me. i want a nice professional take even at low light takes.

i only have an imac available 21.5 i3 and i dont even have software to use for video editing.

i need help. i dont have much to spend also. i may only spend to the most 2k for all of it.

i dont also understand about HD and non HD cameras.

i appreciate it if somebody could chime in and give me some tips.

thanks a lot,

kibo

2. kibokibo thread starter macrumors newbie

i saw a also from youtube that they were using canon 5d or 7d for video. is this better than the panasonic dvx100?

thanks,

kibo

3. handsome pete macrumors 68000

The DVX100 is a video camera whereas the Canon 5d/7d are still photography cameras with a video mode.

The Canon's are able to achieve some pretty good results, but if you're just getting into video then I wouldn't even think about going down that road.

Back to the DVX. It's still a very good camera, but a little dated at this point. It's also SD only. SD is still highly relevant in the video world, but everything is still moving to HD.

You really have to figure out what your goals are before you look into buying equipment. What is it you want to do with this camera? Once that is answered, it will be easier for someone to recommend specific gear and software.