Need help choosing which Mac to buy

Discussion in 'iMac' started by djstrike, Dec 4, 2012.

1. djstrike, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2012

djstrike macrumors newbie

hello users,

I've been following this site for allmost 1 year know, since end 2010 I've been waiting for the new imac 2012,which finally is released now.

I'm sick up withe the blue screens and systems which are getting slower and slower becayse of all the windows updates.

For the old Imac is was pretty sure I would go for the 27 inch mac.
    Now seeing the new Dutch prices and models, I'm not so sure anymore.

Here are my choices:
    - 21inch 2,9Ghz, 16Gb (you can't upgrade afterwards)and 1 TB Fusion Drive (reason: harddisk is only 5400 and I want this mac to last at least 5 years). Total: Eur 2.029

- 27 Inch, Base model, 1 Tb Fusion drive (same reason as above, it must last at least 5 years). Memory upgrade I'll do over a year or so. Total Eur 2.149

I'm going to add a Time Capsule (2Tb) also.
    The minor of the 27 inch is that when you open an internet page, a lot of the screen is white/blank.

Purpose: Internet/mail/rendering home video's (I wanted this to do this on my PC bit it failed/didn't work most of the time) / photo's / Office.

Thank you in advance!

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Do you have a question you wanted to ask?

3. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

I think there is a language barrier here, but let me see if I understand what you're saying. You're saying that the larger screen of the 27" model is a bad thing because when maximizing the window you get a lot of blank space?

4. djstrike thread starter macrumors newbie

I'msorry that my treath is not clear.
    I'm chosing between 21 and 27 and need advice based upon the purpose which one I should chose.

5. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Depends on what you do with it. If you want two pages open side by side or do a lot of Photoshop work, then go for the 27" if you can. However consider your office space as the 27" looks fine in store but may be to big in your set up.

6. djstrike thread starter macrumors newbie

when you consider my needs, is my opinion that I should purchase the fusion drive if I want to do at least 5 year with the mac, correct? do I benefit als with rendering videos? Thanks again

7. mapleleafer macrumors regular

Your intended uses seem light, except for rendering. The little I know about the hardware demands for rendering suggests that the CPU is more important than the graphical hardware. (Someone correct me if that's wrong.) And if eye candy is not important to you, you may have a third choice: the Mac mini. It's light on graphical power, but with some extra RAM and a good monitor (get any size you want), it may meet your needs at a price better what the iMacs cost in the Netherlands.