Need help choosing

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Melsir, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Melsir macrumors newbie

Melsir

I'm a little bit disappointing by the new iMac so I'm now looking at the new Mac mini but I'm not sure if it's a fit for me.

- I'm a iPhone/iPad app developer, so I'm doing lot of XCode with a little bit of Photoshop (just some light editing).
    - I have some Windows applications so I'll think of using Parallels from time to time.
    - I'll use that Mac to Airplay movies to my HDTV
    - I have some games but they are from GOG so they are old school games. But I just saw the next SimCity and I would like to be able to play it.

The Mac mini I'm looking:
    - 2.3 quad-core i7
    - Will upgrade to 16GB RAM
    - 1TB Fusion Drive (I have a SSD right now, so NO 5400 RPM for me!)

My concerns:
    - Will the Mac mini will be able to handle Win 7 on Parallels (GOG games or small games (nothing heavy like Diablo 3) and some light applications)
    - Be able to play SimCity when it comes out

It will cost me around 1050$ + 16GB RAM. (I have a decent monitor. Not a IPS but good enough for me.)

If I'm going for the iMac (21.5), since I want at least a fusion drive, I'm require to buy the 1499$ model and buy RAM from Apple since it's not accessible on the 21.5 model... So an iMac will cost me around 2000$...

Is the new Mac mini will be able to run all thoses applications smoothly?

Thanks!

2. tagy macrumors regular

What mac you have at the moment?

I use: Xcode, photoshop, illustrator, dreamweaver, and virtual box with windows/linux etc. on a 2009 mac mini 2.26 core 2 duo, 8GB RAM, 256 SSD an everything runs fine. I normally have at least Xcode and Safari and another app or 2 running.

I have no plans to upgrade yet as I have no need.

So I think any of the current mac mini's will easily do what you want without a problem, the only thing I am not sure about is the gaming but I think it should be ok.

3. Melsir thread starter macrumors newbie

Melsir

I'm about to switch from PC. I have the base iMac 2011 21.5inch from work that I keep at home for the moment but I can't keep it forever ;). My main PC will die soon and want a Mac since I'll be able to use XCode at home.

I use my PC mostly as a Media center for my TV and some games. I think the mid Mac mini would suit me but I'm a little worried about the Intel HD 4000. I'm not a heavy gamer but I would like to be able to play some 2013 games with > 30 fps at least ;)