Need help clarifying 3gs question

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by muerte83, Jan 19, 2013.

1. muerte83, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013

muerte83 macrumors newbie

For the past week I've been checking for tutorials and trying familiarize myself with information on how to jailbreak and unlock this 3gs i was recently given. From my searches, the version I have seems to be unlockable and i have also read lots of conflicting information on how to unlock/jailbreak this iphone, whether it's possible or not, which is why I am a bit reluctant.

Anyway, i've just now come to realize that unlocking and jailbreaking are two different things, but it also seems I have reached the limit of my capacity for taking in info about this, since all the different versions of ways to unlock it are so f*$k#*@ confusing, I'm hoping someone can help out and clarify this for me.

Can I jailbreak my Iphone 3gs

Serial 87012 - From what I learned this means 2010 12th week?

5.01 (9A405)

05.16.05 - This is what's confusing. All the searaches I have for this baseband say it can't be unlocked.

It's an unlocked phone. If it's possible to jb, will jailbreaking somehow lock the phone?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

If its factory unlocked or been unlocked without jailbreaking it won't relock when jail broken

3. iPhone Bits macrumors newbie

If you have an iPhone3GS and if digits 3-5 of its Serial Number are 134 or later (xx134…), then you should NOT try to install the 06.15 baseband on your 3GS! It will brick your radio, preventing both the downgrade from working and normal iPhone software from using it as a phone! Be warned!

Your serial number digits 3-5 are 012 which means you can install the ipad baseband 06.15 which in turn means you can unlock your iphone via jailbreak, you can use redsnow to jailbreak and install ipad baseband, since the ipad baseband has been know to cause issues with GPS you can now downgrade from 06.15 to 05.13.04 . follow this guide http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/25350690843/0615-fun

If you have any problems please ask