iPad Need help 'cleaning up' Jailbroken 5.0.1 iPad 2

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by gigaguy, Apr 1, 2012.

1. gigaguy macrumors 65816

Hello, I bought a jb'd iPad 2 on 5.0.1 but it has remnants of previous user itunes name. when I open up a game many times it asks for itunes password for another guys acct. (game center crap).
    also, the previous jb'er had Siri installed and lots of other root file (I assume) apps in Cydia.
    I tried to remove some cydia files, and many say, Warning - deleting this fle may corrupt Cydia or the os.
    Is there any way to 'clean' this ipad and keep 5.0.1? Or someone that can help me systematically remove some of these apps in a safe way. I also see Terminal and SSH, which worry me about security. I do not use those programs.
    I'm working on getting a factory 'fresh' iPad with 5.0.1 but if this is my only jb option, how can I make this iPad safe and less corruptible? this ipad operates fine otherwise and syncs ok to my iTunes acct. but I'm wary about security and causing a crash and needing a restore to5.1 - thanks.

2. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

Open Cydia. Delete every tweak except applist, apt 0.7, Bug fix: duplicate icons, bug fix: Stuck pages, Cydia installer, cydia translations, Default hd sbsettings, erica utilities, GUI-GPG-SEC, Mobile substrate, sbsettings, Source GUI, Springboardaccess, and substrate safe mode.

Hopefully, you have iFile installed as well. Don't delete that either. Use iFile, to go into var/mobile/applications and var/stash/applications and ensure there isn't any strange applications residing there.

You may also have a folder called var/stash/themes. There are usually winterboard themes stuck in there. You can choose to delete these as well. And then when you are all done, empty your trash in iFile. Check your settings, as sometimes trash is hidden. Cheers.

P.s. for iTunes, I am sure there is a way to wipe the file in question via iFile or alter it, so the iPad thinks it is a fresh user. I just don't know what that is off the top of my head. Sorry.

3. gigaguy thread starter macrumors 65816

4. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

Also keep dbatech common, if it is already installed. If not, don't sweat it.

5. gigaguy thread starter macrumors 65816

6. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

you will have to download it from cydia, if you did not already have it

7. gigaguy, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012

gigaguy thread starter macrumors 65816

I just did. and thanks for your help. I'm tending to want to just restore it, I don't trust the security of it anyway.

8. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

So how did it go? I'm thinking of doing the same thing cuz my mms doesn't work anymore and I dont want to update. Same for my iPhone.

9. gigaguy thread starter macrumors 65816

well....I was removing stuff in iFile, and I froze it to the white Apple startup screen. so I just restored it. I didn't trust that SSH was secure anyway, and it had lots of Cydia tweaks I couldn't remove.
    I have hopefully a fresh iPad 2 on 5.0.1 coming this week so I wasn't too concerned with losing 5/0.1 on this one. we'll see!