Need help configuring a WD 2TB Studio II HDD to Raid 1 Mirror through Disk Utility

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Xplicit84, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Xplicit84, Jan 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2014

Xplicit84 macrumors newbie

Can someone help me set this up? I originally had set the HDD up as a Raid 1 but as FAT32 (New to the Mac scene last February and had no clue that was a mistake). My cousin got me a HDD for Time Machine during Christmas since I wasn't using the service and thought it would be best to further protect all my files. After setting up the HDD, I come to realize that this WD Studio II HDD would not be copied into Time Machine because of how I initially set it up.

After using Disk Utility to erase the HDD, I now have no clue how to set it up as a Raid 1 again. Disk utility shows the HDD as just 1TB. I've been searching online for help, but am failing. Everyone says not to use WD (or other brands) software when setting up and to use Disk Utility. How can I get my 2013 Macbook Pro to see the other HDD and set up the HDD through Disk Utility? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I got desperate and downloaded the WD RAID Manager and it shows that it is still a Raid 1 set up, but now is in HSF+. I should be ok then or am I wrong?

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

HFS+ is an OS X file system. So Time Machine can only be used on HFS+ drive! You can't get last that.

3. Xplicit84, Jan 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2014

Xplicit84 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's why I reformatted it through Disk Utility and made it HSF+.

4. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

From his post it seems as though he corrected that issue by going from FAT to HFS+ which will allow TM (the new drive) to back up the drive (WD drive that should be RAID 1). So that issue has been solved. :)

Next issue is the RAID I.

Based off that it sounds fine. Does Get Info show the same info (RAID, space, etc.) as it did when it was in FAT32? Do you have the option of changing it to RAID 0?

5. Xplicit84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Through WD Raid Manager it says I can go Raid 0 HFS+, Raid 1 HFS+, or Fat32 Raid 0 or Raid 1. It would then format the HDD to represent that and undo what Disk Utility accomplished. I keep reading how you shouldn't use the manufacturers software. I just want to make sure I've done the proper steps rather then wait another six hours to format the HDD.

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Well Raid One is one drive copies the other drive. Raid Zero is combining the two drives to look as one.