Need help configuring dual drives in MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jsilas, Dec 13, 2010.

1. jsilas macrumors regular

I'll preface this thread by saying I've done a lot of reading on this subject, but I've been unsuccessful in getting my questions answered.

I just bought a new MBP, and installed a 2nd HDD in place of my SuperDrive. The primary drive is my SSD, which is only 128GB. The secondary drive is a 500GB platter drive.

My intention is to store all music, photos and movies on my platter drive, but leaving the OS on the SSD.

I've seen some comments about moving the /Users folder to the secondary drive, but it seems like logging on and doing other basic functions would then be reliant on the platter drive, which I'd assume would reduce performance.

Please help me understand what I should do - I'm really new to OSX and I have no clue where to go from here.

2. phyzics101 macrumors regular

phyzics101

I was looking to do the same thing but with a 750GB HD. I hope you get a answer quickly.

3. jsilas thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the link - unfortunately it refers to system functions I'm not familiar with and doesn't provide adequate detail for my noob needs.

4. Saturdays macrumors member

Saturdays

I guess try this: Move Home User Folder

Symbolic Linking is the "proper" way to do this. But no harm in using the first method in that link.
    Just make sure you open disk utility and repair permissions afterwards, on both drives, just to be safe!.