need help configuring macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by xxmetalhead86xx, Jan 3, 2011.

1. xxmetalhead86xx macrumors newbie

Guys help me plz.. im really new to Mac... i need to disable the control panel and doc for mac.. disable everything except the firefox, i need to config macbook so that it only can run firefox or whatever software it need to surf the internet..

2. richard.mac, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2011

richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

why? youre just dumbing down a powerful and very capable computer.

you could create a new Standard or Managed user and use Parental Controls. then hide the dock and use Chrome or Firefox in full screen mode.

3. xxmetalhead86xx thread starter macrumors newbie

i just need to config the macbok for demo purposes. i need to disable the control panel so the user cant alter anything. you get me? thx for ur suggestion.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

making a new Standard or Managed user with Parental Controls will stop the user from setting admin controls in system preferences. to stop them opening it untick it from Parental Controls.

then hide the Dock and use full screen in Chrome or Firefox, or find a better full screen extension. there used to be a plugin for true kiosk (demo) mode for Safari, but its not an extension and dont recommend it.

5. xxmetalhead86xx thread starter macrumors newbie

ok.. thx man.. i'll look into it.. still new with mac...haha still dont know my way around

6. xxmetalhead86xx thread starter macrumors newbie

how do i remove the finder? how to i remove the task bar?

7. xxmetalhead86xx thread starter macrumors newbie

pro mac user plz come help me..

Is there any way to disable the menu bar? looking foward to you're replies~!

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're taking the wrong approach. You don't need to strip away basic Mac OS X components to make your Mac secure for demo purposes, and many of those things can't or shouldn't be done. richthomas already gave you a good suggestion. Create a guest account with parental control restrictions. Also, don't leave your Mac unattended.

9. xxmetalhead86xx thread starter macrumors newbie

yes yes i know he did point out that to me.. i did what richthomas told me... but my boss.. he soo fussy.. he want me to disable the menu bar... he dont want people to mess around with the setting... i told him i disabled it already but he keep insisting for me to hide em... he said the customer must not see this and that..

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Tell him it can't be done. What app are you using for the demo? Some apps will allow you to do a full-screen presentation, which won't show the Menu Bar, Dock, etc.

11. xxmetalhead86xx thread starter macrumors newbie

ok like this. this macbook is gonna hit the retail store, the only app thats useable is firefox/anywebrowser and messenger developed by the company. so to prevent people from messing around with the macbook is to disable certain function, is there anyway to promt password before shutdown or logoff? im not familiar with mac OS, so plz educate me.. thx

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Well, you can't disable or hide the Menu Bar, because the Firefox commands will be on it when it's the active app. Unlike Windows, where each app has its own toolbar with File, Edit, View, etc., in Mac OS X, they all use the same Menu Bar, with the menu choices changing, depending on which app is active.

Like many retail demos, you could set up an interface with more rigid controls like you're talking about, and use that interface to limit the user's choices. That would require developing such an interface. There's no simple way to do what you're wanting, using a standard Mac out of the box.

13. xxmetalhead86xx thread starter macrumors newbie

lol i guess i have to tell my boss this..lol gud luck to me.. hahaha thx man..

14. Radiomarko macrumors member

Radiomarko