Need help connecting Airport Extreme to Comcast cable..

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by timbevil, May 9, 2009.

1. timbevil macrumors newbie

Trying to connect a new Airport Extreme Base Station to my iMac. Was hoping I could do so without connecting the AEBS to the imac via ethernet--is that possible? Why i try to do so, AEBS setup asks for my DHCP settings,etc.. If I connect AEBS to the computer via ethernet, will that work and will I be able to establish a network? Sure isn't going the way the "easy instructions" claim. Thanks in advance.:)

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Having some trouble understanding you here. I'm gonna give you some steps to get configured, post if you have any more issues.

After you have the Ethernet cable between the cable modem and the Extreme connected (into the WAN or "circle of dots" port), you CAN configure the Extreme without needing a cable to connect the Extreme and your computer. All you need to do is enable/turn on the computer's wireless card from its icon in the upper right. The menu bar icon will either appear as a 1/3 of a pie (if inactive) or a radio symbol (if active). Make sure you're connected to Apple Network <numbers>, then launch AirPort Utility which is located in /Applications/Utilities. If this is your first Apple router, don't go manual setup unless you know what you're doing. Name the base station, set a password for it, go through the setup and name the network and its wireless security setting. At the summary you can review the settings and then click update. Your Mac should auto-connect to the set up network and the LED on the base station should be green.

If you prefer to configure with an Ethernet cable between the Extreme and your Mac, feel free to do so, just make sure you connect the second cable between one of the LAN ports on the Extreme, marked with <...> and your Mac, and verify that the AirPort card is turned off. Launch AirPort Utility, and configure with the same steps as above.