Need help connecting HD-DVD player to AirPort network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by atarin, Dec 28, 2007.

1. atarin macrumors regular

I couldn't find this anywhere, so forgive me if this has been asked elsewhere. I just bought a Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD player, and it can connect to the Internet for firmware updates and online DVD content via an ethernet cable. Our network is wireless (AirPort Extreme Gigabit), and is based in one of the bedrooms (where the cable modem lives). The HDTV and HD-DVD player are in the living room, and I do not want to run ethernet cable through the house (wood floors, not liking the idea of wires everywhere, etc.).

I noticed that the AirPort Express has an ethernet port on it. Can I plug the ethernet cable from the DVD player into this port and get an Internet connection this way? If so, I think getting an AirPort Express is the logical way to go; I just want to make sure this is possible. Anyone get this to work? Thanks!

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

You're probably the first one to attempt this, so...

1. Give it a try - it just might work.
    2. If if doesn't, just return the AE.
    3. Either way, report back here so we can all learn from your experience.

Good luck!

3. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

No... the OP is not the first person to attempt it. That will work fine so long as the Airport Express is participating in the same wireless network. The easiest way (..I seem to be repeating myself, posted in another thread re: this setup) is to setup the Express as a WDS remote with a WDS main, and the Express will act as a media bridge between the wireless and the ethernet port. The HD-DVD player should then be able to get an IP if you have DHCP setup on the main base station or on an accessible host/router.

4. NightStorm macrumors 68000

I use an airport express in this fashion, although it is in a WDS network with another airport express located at my desk (which is then connected to my Airport Extreme via ethernet). It works great.

The reason I did it this way was so that I could have a seperate 802.11N and 802.11B/G network.