Need help connecting new MBP to home wireless network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by codycalifornia, Jul 23, 2008.

1. codycalifornia macrumors newbie

Hello! Just got my brand new MBP today in the mail and I have a wireless internet connection in my home. When it tries to connect to it on my MBP, it says it cannot because it is not on the "server access list" or something. The network is not passworded, but it is very secure because the only computers that can access the network are those added directly from the network home pc.

Do you where I can look on the home pc to add the laptop to the access list? I am completely lost. It is a wireless linksys router. Model WRT54G, if that matters.

Thanks! :apple:

2. codycalifornia thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone... please? I really need help solving this problem so that I can register my .Mac address and get started customizing my MBP before college starts next month...

3. jimleszczynski macrumors regular

jimleszczynski

You need to provide more information. Perhaps a step by step of what you try to do and what is occurring with the exact error your receiving verbatim.

I may be able to help provided with more information.

4. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Its a MAC address problem!

Make sure your MBP's MAC Address (Go to system Pref|Network|Airport, It'll be something like '1a:2b:33:45:67') is registered in your routers MAC Address filter list!

I'll try to find some detailed instructions if you have no clue what I'm talking about!;)

5. jimleszczynski macrumors regular

jimleszczynski

I understand what your saying. However one thing I don't get. Why would the router lock the MAC address out. I have run into this particular problem before, but, I don't understand it. Some routers have no problems, and others require tinkering.

Any Explanation? (Were all learning here :p)

6. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

7. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Its a security feature! This feature makes sure that only the devices you know can connect to the network, no one else can!

The router refuses connectivity to any device that is not mentioned in its list! The Mac address filter is the list and the mac address is the name of the device for the router!:D

8. jgmac macrumors newbie

I presume you've been able to connect directly to the WRT54G directly using a network cable and verify connectivity w/o wireless. I suspect the problem may be that your wireless SSID can't be found. Log into your router https://192.168.1.1 (typical browser address for your router, default user/pwd is admin/admin). Verify the Wireless SSID as well as the checkbox to broadcast the SSID in wireless settings. Also, if you have multiple computers on your network, make sure the number of ip addresses that can be assigned is sufficient to add one more.

I strongly recommend using some sort of security with your home wireless network but don't add that until you get everything squared away.

9. jimleszczynski macrumors regular

jimleszczynski

Ok, so this feature will only lock out a Mac if MAC Address Filter is ENABLED? Otherwise, you will not experience this problem?

10. codycalifornia thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, should have been more specific!

When I got my desktop back in 02, my mom bought the wireless router (connected to her computer) and there is a fatty antenna hooked up to the back of my desktop, that is how my computer receives the signal. She messed around with the linksys settings, it used to be where anyone could tap into the network, but she feared of someone sitting outside and doing illegal things on our network or something, so she edited the router settings so that only KNOWN and approved devices can access the network. My problem is finding out where to look on her computer for the settings or whatever I need to find to be able to add my mac to the allowed devices list.

11. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Er... no! It will only ALLOW a mac, or for that matter anydevice that wishes to use it, if its name (MAC Address) is mentioned in its list!

Well thats how most routers work! But some rare routers also have the vice-versa option ie: what you just said above!

12. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

:D

13. jmadlena Guest

EDIT: AppleInk already has the steps necessary.

14. codycalifornia thread starter macrumors newbie

How do i find out my macbooks MAC address? (remember i have no access to internet on it so i cant go to ipchicken)

15. codycalifornia thread starter macrumors newbie

It's working!

APPLE INK FOR PRESIDENT!

Thank you!!!!