Need help connecting to home Mac!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by graphicwave, Feb 12, 2008.

1. graphicwave macrumors newbie

Hi, I am trying to connect to my home computer from my work computer, but I am not able to connect to it. I do CMD+K (from work) and type in the IP address (with & without smb:// &/or afp://), but home computer does not show up or the connection times out. My home computer is awake and file sharing & remote login are on. My home computer is an iMac 20" Intel Core 2 Duo connected via cable modem @ 12mbps running 10.5.2. My work computer is a Power Mac G5 Duel 2.7 running 10.4.11. Am I not able to connect because of the OS difference? Any help would be appreciated.
    p.s. Sorry if this is a repost, but I couldn't find any posts with questions like this. Thanks. :apple:

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

What is your firewall situation? Router situation? Your lack of connecting is in one or both of those places.

3. graphicwave thread starter macrumors newbie

damn...maybe that's it. My default OSX firewall is probably on. I suppose I'll check that, since I have no other firewall anywhere. Thanks.

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Router

If you have a router, you'd also need to configure port forwarding.
    Port 21 for ftp, I believe.

5. graphicwave thread starter macrumors newbie

I just checked and my firewall was off, so no firewall and in response to the previous post, I only have a ethernet hub splitting my cable modem to my PC/PS3/Mac. The PC & PS3 have no problem seeing the Mac. Thanks.