Need help connecting to new ISP

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PinkiPad, Feb 24, 2012.

1. PinkiPad macrumors newbie

New ISP. To connect I click the name and it connects, but you then go to a Web Authentication Form online (https://1.1.1.1/login.html). Enter username and pass, you are then online.

Now, in my Windows netbook, the window opens in a browser automatically.

On my iPad, a form opens with Apple Inc under the title. I login but am not online.

I try to go to the URL but the browser just says I'm not connected or words to that effect.

So ... being new to Apple, I am lost. HOW do I get online?

2. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

4. PinkiPad thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, that is complicated. I don't know who it is as I use a connection shared by many. I am in a nursing home and they have setup a WiFi connection for residents. They supply you with login info only. I did meet their contact but he didn't give any info. He only gives that to the people who pay him.

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

I might be misunderstanding but wouldn't that mean you are trying to steal Internet access? Correct me if I am wrong.

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

I interpreted it as the guy only gives assistance to those who pay him (for his time). If I'm wrong, then I agree and access should be paid for.

PinkiPad: I wish I could give some suggestions, but I'm afraid the solution is likely to be very specific to the Internet setup there. I've never had problems using hotel wifi that works similarly to how you've described.

Perhaps there are tech savvy people there other than the guy you have to pay?

7. PinkiPad thread starter macrumors newbie

deedawg, you are correct. He deals with the admin only. I can have her email him but he may charge her to come in ... but it can't hurt to ask. I just thought the iPad may connect differently

I did ask a few aides but they are either unfamiliar with computers or use the Internet at home only.

It is just odd that I login but am not online. I'll ask her tomorrow and post when I have an update.

8. brand macrumors 601

brand

Sorry for my misunderstanding. Perhaps there is a landing page where you have to accept a TOS prior to gaining Internet access. Thats how I setup our guest wireless network at work.

9. PinkiPad thread starter macrumors newbie

'sokay, just don't want y'all think I steal access!

The LOGIN page has the TOS on the Netbook. On the iPad, it ... I will look it up later but I'm pretty sure is is the same other than the name across the top. Netbook has nothing on the page for a title but the page name at the top of Firefox is Web Authentication. On the iPad it is at the top of the page followed by Apple Inc

XXXXX Patient Wireless Network

XXXXX is proud to provide its residents access to the Internet. Use of these systems and or networks is at the users own risk. XXXXX and its affiliates are not responsible for any actions performed by its residents while using this network. Furthermore, you agree to abide by all Federal, State, and Local laws while on this network. By using this network you are automatically bound by these terms and conditions.
    User Name
    Password