Need help connecting to printer on window machine.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rpg51, Jul 22, 2012.

1. rpg51 macrumors 6502

rpg51

I have a windows machine running xp pro with an attached Brother MFC printer/scanner connected via ethernet to a Time Capsule. I have a MacBook Air connected to network via wireless. The MacBook Air is able to see the folders and files that are shared on the Windows machine. Unfortunately I am not able to print to the Brother MFC on the windows machine. Used to be able to, but can't now.

I have seen some threads on similar issues and I have tried to follow the "Mac Guide" on the issue (see top of screen). No luck. No clue what I am doing wrong. I have a feeling that I may be giving an incorrect address at the end of that Mac Guide but I am not sure. I have the windows machine ip address. I have the share name of the printer on the windows machine. I have to correct make and model of the printer. The windows machine needs a user id which i have but does not use a password.

Any suggestions? I'm on the verge of giving up and buying a new network ready printer/scanner but I'm not sure I'll be able to configure that to scan to the windows comptuer either. I'm missing something here and its driving me up the wall. Any help will be MUCH appreciated.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. rpg51 thread starter macrumors 6502

rpg51

I'm honestly not sure -

I was never prompted to install drivers. How do I do that?

What happens is this - the printer appears in my printer preferences and when I go to option - utility - open printer utility - the status monitor goes through a sequence and says "failed to connect to device".

4. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

Use Airport Utility to check that printer sharing is enabled on the time capsule.

5. rpg51 thread starter macrumors 6502

rpg51

Just checked Airport Utilitiy

and I find no option to set printer sharing. Went through every setting and see nothing relating to printer sharing. Maybe I missed it.

Also, this printer is attached to the windows computer, not to the Time Capsule. Another printer on the network is attached to Time Capsule via ethernet connection (wired) and it is working fine with all the computers - macs and windows. It is just the printer attached to the window machine that is the issue. I cannot get that printer to work from the macs. Been struggling with it all day and frustrated is too mild a word.