Need help connecting to www from bluetooth mobile

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Sir Loin Steak, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Sir Loin Steak macrumors 6502

Sir Loin Steak

I have a Nokia 6303 moby with bluetooth.

When I try to connect to the internet with it (sitting in front of the mac with the phone), I get the message about 'subscribe to packet data first'. Followed by 'link not available'.

I am with Vodaphone in the uk.

I believe I have set the correct information up in the phone settings, and the iMac can see the phone and vice versa.

Indeed, I can send files between the two devices, but no t'internet.

Should I be paying a subscription to the phone company for the service, does anyone know?

The help files at Vodaphone just loop me back to the help screens on their website which doesn't seem to answer the 'packet data' question.

Thanks if you can help

2. momo.786 macrumors member

Hi,

I managed to connect my P1i via Bluetooth...was my only option as SE doesnt have a Mac-compatible data-suite.

Not the most stable of connections...drops now and then, and the BT connection eats the battery life:eek:

Anyhow...managed to get it done. I'm on the Vodacom network in South Africa, a subsidiary of Vodafone. No specific subscription needed, but I do have a 1GB data plan loaded on my account...makes internet way cheaper!

What have you tried? Can you browse the internet on your phone?

I created a new bluetooth network under Networks. Then click Advanced. Only had to complete the Modem tab. I used "internet" for APN, and "2" for CID. Try "internet" otherwise check with Vodafone for the settings.

Then click Ok and click Connect on the Networks page. If you have the iStat Pro widget, you can connect from there as well. The bluetooth network shows up as well.

Hope this helps. :)

3. Sir Loin Steak thread starter macrumors 6502

Sir Loin Steak

No, I can connect to the mac, but that's it.

Here are some of the screens I have seen on the mac, maybe they'll mean something to someone?:

Attached Files:

4. momo.786 macrumors member

Your pics show the Bluetooth option under System Prefs. You need to set up the connection under Network. Will post pics of my setup below. I never had to change anything under the Bluetooth menu.

Go to System Prefs > Network. Click on the "+" sign on bottom left corner. Select Bluetooth as the Interface, give it some name click Create.

Then click Advanced, and set up as I mentioned earlier. Thats pretty much what I had to do to get this working.

Just a thought...does your phone specifically support being able to be used as a modem?

Attached Files:

5. Sir Loin Steak thread starter macrumors 6502

Sir Loin Steak

Thanks for looking into this.

I've done as you said under network, but to no avail.

Here are the screen grabs I got just now. (attached)

I looked up 'modem' in the mobile's handbook and can't find 'modem' in it, but it's a pretty simple guide.

Attached Files:

6. momo.786 macrumors member

Try leaving the account name and password fields blank under Network...that's what I was told.

Maybe the APN for Vodafone is diferrent. If you check your connections/internet accounts on your phone, is there something called "internet"? I have an account called internet, so that's probably what is uses to connect to the internet.

Was a such mission getting my phone to connect as well. And then one day it just started working!

7. Sir Loin Steak thread starter macrumors 6502

Sir Loin Steak

Hmm, ok the attached is how it looks after I left out the account name.

The phone just refers to 'web'.

I hear ya on the way things can just seem to start working just like that (!), but today isn't one of my days!

I thank you for your time, really, I do. I can see how frustrating this sort of thing is. You think you can walk out of the shop/store and surf away, but it's not quite that easy.

Best

Attached Files:

8. Sir Loin Steak thread starter macrumors 6502

Sir Loin Steak

Also, check out that left hand pane in the above attachment. Notice that there are more than one reference to bluetooth - I presume because the mac can see certain information on the 'phone; it just doesn't seem to be able to connect (the phone, I mean,) to the web.