Need help converting a few things from a PC to a Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dmk1974, Oct 15, 2009.

1. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

I just got my first Mac (Mac Mini) and am hoping to fully convert over without still needing my PC. But there are a few things that I want to keep a certain way and have not yet found a solution.

1.) I have 5 PCs in my house. 1 is a "server" PC that is connected to my router via gigabit ethernet connection. It has a dedicated partition that houses all of our photos, videos, music, and shared files. With the other 4 PCs, I basically map that drive on each machine and call it the "K" drive. This makes it very easy to view from each machine and allows programs, such as iTunes, to point to that K drive from each machine and load the library of songs.

With my new Mac Mini, I was able to do basically the same thing without issue (not called "K" drive, but wasn't hard to add to my library from that server PC).

However, when I try to use iPhoto, my Mac Mini wants to copy over every photo from the folder on the server PC. I do not want that. Is there some way to point to that library in iPhoto (similar to iTunes) without copying them all over to the Mac Mini?

2.) Time Machine - I can't seem to allow it to backup my Mac Mini to a networked computer or drive. Does Time Machine only allow you to make backups via an external drive connected right to the Mini? I don't want to buy Time Capsule or something like that. On my PCs, I use Acronis True Image and Retrospect to do semi-weekly backups of my PCs through the network to that "server" PC without issue.

Thanks!

2. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

macs use HFS+ format on there hard drives so time machine won't back up to a server with NTFS format.

--Eric

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It is possible to get Time Machine working to a remote NTFS drive (primarily as it uses a sparseimage over the network instead of writing lots of individual files).

There is a guide here.

4. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Thanks, I'll have to try that out.

Anyone have any ideas regarding my first question (iPhoto)? Thanks!

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan