Need help converting NSTC 23.97fps to PAL 25fps

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by strayts, Nov 27, 2013.

1. strayts macrumors member

I've scoured the internet for this, but I've only become more confused.

I'm trying to convert a .mov Apple Pro Res 1920x1080 23.97fps video file to the following specs:

• Apple Pro Res (or any other FCP compatible uncompressed format)
    • PAL 25 fps
    • 1024 x 576 anamorphic
    • 48 khz stereo audio

How do I do this in Apple Compressor?

2. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I think Compressor should be able to do the frame rate change smoothly....whether you have to choose an option I'm not sure....I've done 30p to 24p conversions and Compressor is very good at it would seam. I just don't do frame rate conversations allot but I know that you could speed up the video and audio slightly, this was a common method for films shot in 24p in the USA to be shown in Euro theaters...personally I don't like changing the speed and the sound pitch...especially if music and audio is central to the movie.

3. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

Cant comment on the rescale but for the frame rate conversion make a copy of the file and use Cinema Tools to reconform it to 25fps

Its pretty much instantaneous as it just rewrites the file headers (which is why you want to make a copy first)

do that first then apply whatever rescaling method you chose to the newly conformed version

The 4 percent speed up retains smooth video and few folks will pick up on the subtle change in audio speed/pitch. It's what they're already used to when it comes to movies being broadcast on TV, distributed via VHS DVD etc in PAL broadcast regions (is why 100 min movies were often around 94 mins on PAL release)

Other methods can keep the audio pitch and speed intact but they can result in a much more obvious stutter in horizontal pans/slow zooms etc and that *does* get picked up by a lot more viewers than the runtime/audio shifts

try the speed up with a five test clip and have a few folks view the results

4. koban4max macrumors 68000

I think it was FCP program itself..(at least with FCP 7)...i was searching the same via youtube...and told me i have to go to setting (a/v setting)

5. strayts thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot for the help guys! For some reason I didn't get the notifications for your replies until now. I will try using Cinema tools to adjust the frame rate, then do the scaling. Thanks!

6. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I recently need to reverse telecine and telecine between 24p and 60i and Compressor did an AMAZING job! Now most telecining is done with 24p going into a 60i stream but I'm sure if you set the frame rate to 50i and set frame controls to telecine in Compressor it would get the job done...although interlacing can be ugly and 24p to 25p even done sloppy is better than 24p to 30p done sloppy. Good luck with Cinema tools! Update us!