Need Help Creating A Boot Drive!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mrmeister, Sep 14, 2011.

1. mrmeister macrumors regular

Hi,
    I'm wanting to make the jump to Lion, but before i do this, i want to create a boot drive with my current settings and files for snow leopard.
    I have a partitioned external Firewire 800 drive (i only needed 240GB max, and i had other files on the external that i wanted to keep) and i have used Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the entire contents of my internal over to the partition.
    When i turn on the system with the external plugged in, i hold down alt (option) and the list comes up with only my main boot drive and bootcamp. I can't see the firewire drive.
    What do i need to do?
    Please help
    mrmeister

2. nyichiban macrumors newbie

I think you need to make the partition bootable. Go into Disk Utility and make that partiotion a GUID partion. You can do this under options on the Partition tab. Then just use carbon copy cloner or my personal favorite super duper. I did this with a usb thumb drive and super duper and it showed up when I held onto the option key while booting up my mac. Hope this helps!

3. mrmeister thread starter macrumors regular

The whole hard drive is GUID Partition scheme, and yet it still doesn't show up... Bit annoying

----------

Should i be backing up the entire disk or making a disk image? I've tried both, but it would help if i was certain which one to use as it takes 45 minutes to copy everything

4. mrmeister thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, problem solved.
    I am yet to find out exactly what the problem was, but i just wiped the partition and backed up the primary drive again and noticed it appeared on my startup disk list, then when i restarted holding option it came up straight away along with the bootcamp and primary drive. So, yeah, it works now and i didn't change anything. I just re-did exactly what i did before and it works. Technology...