Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buymeaniphone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
San Antonio, Texas
I'm trying to accomplish the same navigation that you can see on this site. I'm not sure where to start or what to search in Google. I'm assuming it can be done with JavaScript. Any suggestions? Thanks

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
CSSplay is a nice web site with some good CSS to help you create menus. I keep it bookmarked for inspiration. There's a lot to look through and I didn't take the time to try and find a specific one for this effect, but it's worth a look see.

Edit: The Multi-Level Dropline category looks like the type you want.

stargazer214

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2009
Dude, just google it. Type drop down navigation menu tips or tricks or hack. I'm sure a lot of pages will appear. I guess those sites can explain it better to you step-by-stey with images rather than explaining each process here in the forum.. :)

alexk82

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2009
East Coast
yui

YUI has some menu stuff so does http://script.aculo.us/. but thats some pretty easy javascript hide/show div and image stuff.

something like onMouseOver="javascript:show(this)"

function show(this) {
// this set to new image
// this.child ie the menu bar hide the old version show the new one
}

ddh716

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2009
jQuery

I agree with iPodRocker. Check out jQuery. There are tons of different jQuery menu tools out there - and they are easy to implement. There's also lots of support for jQuery - both online and a few books. Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.