Need help creating bootable leopard usb external hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dibara2003, Aug 22, 2008.

1. dibara2003 macrumors 6502

So yeah, can anyone provide me a step-by-step instruction on that? I've found some things, but they all vary and i was hoping you all could help me out on the best way. I have a USB hard drive and leopard installation disks. Also, if possible, i would still like to use the hard drive for my time machine as well. Thanks

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Start Disk Utility and partition the drive.

Then run the installer and install onto the external drive like you would as if the drive was inside your computer.

3. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

Also if you want it to be similar to your internal HD you can clone it using carbon copy cloner and boot from that, but I'm not sure exactly what you're going to use it for so maybe that won't help, you'll have to partition the drive for the clone and have another partition for time capsule using disk utility if that's what you're looking for

4. dibara2003 thread starter macrumors 6502

so how big would the partitions need to be and i'm assuming i just need 2 (1 for time capsule and 1 for leopard?) i don't need to have a copy of my existing hard drive as i'll have it on time capsule, but just want to have a running copy of leopard just in case. thanks

5. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

Well your copy of Mac OS X you'd probably want as small as possible as long as you can fit Mac OS X on it, I'm not sure how big that is, someone else on here should be able to help with that, and then just leave the rest to time capsule

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

The external hard drive must be huge, make sure the drive you want time machine to backup is the same size as the time machine partition. So if I were to use time machine, i'd go for a 120GB hard drive which matches my laptop hard drive. The rest is leopard i suppose.

7. kman79 macrumors regular

Quick question, lets say I installed Leopard onto a USB/Flash Drive. How do I go about getting that install of Leopard to my MBP hard drive? Is it as simple as using Disk Utility and using the restore function? I apologize for such a newbie question.

8. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

One thing you did not mention is what Mac you are planning to do this with- so it is important to note that if your Mac is not Intel based this idea will not work.

Only Intel based Macs can boot from USB drives- PPC based machines require FireWire connections to boot from an external drive.