Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mbimac

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
vancouver
:confused:

early 2008 Mac pro 2x 4core E5462 @2.8Ghz (bought 2 monthes ago has 3yrs apple care)

Today I ranning in OS Vista x64 suddently I lost one of CPU
but in device manager there are showing 8 core(8 cpu@2.8Ghz)
and I got cpu marks around 4800(according to Performace Test7.0);3Dmark vantage cpu score 10900 is that normal or it should doudle 10900x2=around 20000? thanks need help

anybody here has any idea what's going on ?

many thanks

if this problem cannot be solved I will call apple to fix it

grue

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2003
Somewhere.
Let me guess: Vista Home Premium?

Also, for the love of all things unholy and holy alike, please cut back on the extraneous punctuation.

macz1

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
as long as there are no problems in OS X everything should be fine. Probably a software-related issue (as grue said, the basic versions of vista allow only one CPU to be used even if there are to of them...)

mbimac

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
vancouver
as long as there are no problems in OS X everything should be fine. Probably a software-related issue (as grue said, the basic versions of vista allow only one CPU to be used even if there are to of them...)

Thank you

I am using vista Home Prem (x64), after I restart to win XP Pro everything is fine.thanks ,yes you are right maybe it's software's issue

BTW does windows vista Home Premium x64bit support 2 cpus? I never know about that OMG!!.

grue

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2003
Somewhere.
Thank you

I am using vista Home Prem (x64), after I restart to win XP Pro everything is fine.thanks ,yes you are right maybe it's software's issue

BTW does windows vista Home Premium x64bit support 2 cpus? I never know about that OMG!!.

only Business and Ultimate support multiple sockets.

mbimac

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
vancouver
XP-32 Pro shows all four cores on a MacPro1,1

Yes I believe so, only high version of windows can support multi-CPUs [xp pro 32/64; vista business ultimate 32/64]

i just know this yesterday,bcz I have never used 2 cpus system since I bought Mac pro.

thank you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.