Need help dealing with a virus

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AdamA9, Apr 22, 2010.

1. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

Guys,

I need some help – preferably without the typical sarcastic comments – on dealing with a virus on a windows laptop. I’ll give you the scenario.

My Father (against my recommendation) uses a windows laptop for some of his business work. The other day he got a virus, although he doesn’t know what type, he said he thinks it said ‘LASL Worm’ but he was driving when I spoke with him so couldn’t check. He uses AVG and I’m guessing it was this that told him what he had.

What I need to know is that’s the best way to clear a windows laptop of a virus? I was thinking of either winding back (he he has a save point in the past) or doing a fresh install from the disk. Would either of these methods remove it, assuming that AVG cannot clear it? Also, if I were to transfer his music and pictures onto my time capsule before the re-install, is there a chance I could pick up the infection?

Thanks for your help

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I think you will find that avg has informed him that it's caught the virus and it's in the vault. There shouldn't be any further action required.

3. AdamA9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

There are missing files and his desktop has lost everything. It's also turned his desktop wallpaper weird. I don't know the full details as I'm not there yet. Will be in about 30 minutes.

I just want to make sure I clear the virus and have the laptop working well again, bill him for my time and remind him of my conversation when I said a mac would be less hassle lol

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can Google the name of a virus or worm and usually find a reputable site, such as Symantec.com, that will give you instructions on removal.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Boot into safemode with networking back it up and reinstall. It's not normally worth making the effort to undo nasties work.