Need help dealing with Apple store

Discussion in 'iMac' started by smirk, Sep 4, 2012.

1. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

Hey guys, I need some advice.

A good friend of mine bought her first Mac a year ago, and now the logic board has failed and Apple wants almost $800 to replace it. She has the 2011 27" iMac, so we're talking a ~$2700 computer. It was purchased something like 13 1/2 months ago, so it is out of warranty by a month and a half.

Is there any strategy to get Apple to cover the cost of the repair? I know the warranty is for one year, but to be so close to that and have that expensive a failure (through no fault of hers, it's not like she dropped it) seems sad.

Thanks!

2. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Really sucks - only advice I can offer is that maybe an independent repair service might charge a bit less.

3. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

If the store said no, it's in the system as no so there's no way around it. It's pretty messed up that they wouldn't fix it given it's so close but that's Apple's new customer service experience.

Check and see if you're friend bought the iMac on a credit card, the company might extend the warranty an extra year and cover repair fees. Also check and see if your friend has renter's/home owners insurance that could also cover some of the repairs (depending on their deductible).

Best of luck.

4. alias99 macrumors regular

Email Tim Cook, it goes to a customer service team.

If you write out a good email, expand on what you said at the beginning they might help you out.

I had a few smaller issues and they were very helpful.

Its worth a shot.