Need help deciding '16 13" or 15" for gaming

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kupo, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Kupo macrumors newbie

Kupo

ok, this might sound obvious, but I'm having a tough time deciding. In Norway, the 15" is much more expensive, and i really dont know how much more power the gpu will give me in "light" games such as civ, diablo, star craft etc compared to the integrated.
    I'm currently not concidering installing Windows, but if i do, what games can the 13" run on medium/low settings compared to the 15"?

Thanks

2. powerocool macrumors 6502

powerocool

For gaming, go with 15". Upgrade graphics card to 460.

3. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

If you want it for games get the 15", considering it has a GPU it'll be your best bet. The 13" will run a lot of games but you're looking at a few year old games on med/low settings today, which will obviously get worse with time.

Before this gets going... Have you considered a Windows PC? It'll be infinitely better for games.

As for performance, there are a number of threads where people are benchmarking various games on the different machines, you may get better luck by searching through them.

4. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Highest GPU you can afford, the CPU will not make a big difference.

Though you are really paying a huge premium in Norway for such a low grade gaming GPU.

5. Rian Gray macrumors regular

Rian Gray

Since Starcraft is on the list, (and i'm assuming you meant SC2, not SC1) you would want to get 15" just for the sake of having higher than medium level graphics settings. RTS games like SC tend to be CPU-intensive as well, but not sure if the game would still count as CPU-intensive in 2016.

From my experience playing those games (good to see another Civ/SC/Diablo player!) on 2014 Mac Mini, I can almost guarantee it will also run just fine on low/medium settings with 13".