need help deciding between 3g vs 3gs (for 1st gen user)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by siratherock, Jun 8, 2009.

1. siratherock macrumors newbie

Hi, I have the first gen iphone, my contract ends next month. I was thinking about getting the $99 3g iphone, but is it worth the extra $100 for 3gs? Is the internet speed on 3gs better than 3g (without wifi)?
    There's only two things that made me interested with 3gs, which is the 2x faster, and getting 16gb for $100 more. Do you think those two are worth $100? (I know people will say it's up to me to decide, but I want your opinion, what would you do?)
    Also do you know the price range for the used 1st generation iphone?

Sorry about the grammatical errors, thank you for your time.

2. FortLeopard macrumors newbie

I believe both the iPhone EDGE and iPhone 3G are the same in RAM and speed, so you won't see a performance difference except for 3G.

I'd go for the iPhone 3GS because it'll be faster in the long run.

3. paulold macrumors 6502

know the diff

Look carefully at Apple's comparison of the 3G and the 3GS phones. The voice control and the video recording is something that will only work with the 3GS phones. I thought those were just software updates and would thus work on a 3G phone, but not so.

So be sure you understand what you can and can't do with these phones before picking one. I think being able to record, edit and share video is a very nice feature that is worth some of that price increase.

I'm a 1st Gen owner and I have already reserved a black, 32GB iPhone 3GS via the Apple Store. Can't wait!!!

Oh and the compass? Sounds simple and maybe even silly, but it's actually a really nice new feature. I love how the maps show you the direction you are facing, which really helps you know which way to go. So simple and yet awesome.

4. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

the extra space is will be handy even if you dont load it with music. apps like tomtom will use a lot of space and thus better to get the 16gb.

if you dont need any of the features of the 3gs, i would look to get the 16gb 3g now at 150 before they run out.

5. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

No way would I consider getting a 3G at this point. There are too many benefits of the 3GS over the 3G. Especially for $150; $49 more gets you much, much more.

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

It's worth the extra $100 easily. The processor and RAM are huge bottlenecks on the older phones as apps start to get better. The 3G potential speed will also be faster (up to 7.2Mbps later in the year). Oh yeah, you also get another 8GB of flash.

An extra $100 is a drop in the bucket when you're paying $70/month for the service. Take a look at the $100 difference between the 3G and 3G S 16GB, then look up to the 32GB. Honestly, the 32GB 3G S should cost maybe $250. I guarantee you that the extra 16GB of flash doesn't cost another $100.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The new one wins for the processor alone. No question.

Everything else is just frosting on the cake.

8. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Like others have pointed out, the video, picture auto focus, voice control, compass and some other features are exclusive to the 3GS. It's not simply a matter of processor speed.
    If the new features aren't important to you, that's fine. But don't make a decision from ignorance.