Need help deciding between black macbook and macbook pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ambader, Jan 19, 2009.

1. ambader macrumors newbie

Getting ready to make the switch from PC to Mac, and need some advice from seasoned pros on which is the smarter decision... i am choosing between the following 2 computers:

Apple MacBook Pro MB134LL/A 15.4-inch Laptop (2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB Hard Drive, DVD/CD SuperDrive) - $1600

or

Apple MB404LL/A 13" MacBook Notebook Computer in Black 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, 2GB RAM, 250GB Hard Drive, Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard $1329

Thoughts? Any advice would be much appreciated :) Thanks!!

2. akbc macrumors 6502

I'll be dead honest with you, if I were you I'd go with BlackBook. Since I just love the looks of it..

But aside from that... MBP is a fine machine, if both have same 1yr Warranty or any AppleCare left on it.. the MBP would be an awesome idea.

The 8600M inside might be a "time bomb" but if you have AppleCare for at least 1-2 years left on it.. then it should be fine.

It really just comes down to if you game or watch HD contents a lot, or you need the portability of a 13" laptop.

3. ambader thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info... Both computers would be brand new, so i'm pretty sure they would each have a 1 year warranty, but no AppleCare unless i decide to buy it.

quick question - what do you mean the 8600M is a "time bomb?" Is that the graphics card?

I'm not a gamer, but i do plan to do a good amount of video editing... does that change your opinion at all?

Also, would there be that much of a difference in speed between the 2.4 GHz processor and the 2.5 GHz processor? I already plan on installing 4GB of RAM in whichever computer i end up buying.

4. iTzChasE macrumors 6502

iTzChasE

If your going to do a lot of video editing, you might as well get the MBP. But you will need apple care. The Black book is Ok, but its not going to be the best at video editing. (Dont get me wrong, you can still do it quite good)

I'd just go for the MBP. Or the NEW macbook. Do you like the Black or what?

Just looked at refurbished macs, and there is a Macbook pro 2.4ghz for 1,699. I wish I bought refurb instead of new.

5. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

The 8 series mobile GPUs are all defective. Pretty much. Apple is aware and will repair it for free.

If you're doing video editing then I would say the MacBook Pro hands down.

I would reccomend picking up a refurb unibody MacBook Pro for just $100 more, though.

6. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Depending on what software you use, the GeForce 8600 in MBP would kill Intel's integrated graphics in MB, but what you would REALLY appreciate in MBP is that the screen is much bigger and higher quality. Other stuff is important for editing as well (FW800 in addition to FW400 port, ExpressCard slot, etc)

The difference between 2.4 and 2.5 is rather small, but considering that the 2.5 GHz MBP has 6 MB of L2 cache and 2.4 MB has only 3 MB, it might cut some time from your renders/encodes.

MBs are fine machines for basic home use or for students, but it clearly isn't suited for professional tasks.

P.S.: you would really want to upgrade either hard drive to 7200 RPM.

7. bunit macrumors regular

bunit

If you have the money, go with the Macbook Pro. No doubt about it.:apple:

8. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

You know, the BlackBook is now selling in the Mac Refurbished section at Apple.com for only $1049. That includes the one year warranty too. Most people have an excellent experience buying from Mac Refurbished section at Apple.com.

Actually they even have a unibody MB (new generation) for $1099.

All of them are really nice computers/Macs!

9. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

The graphics card in the black macbook = fail. Go with the pro or a new macbook.