Need help deciding between iMac models please!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by DustyJoe, Dec 29, 2012.

1. DustyJoe macrumors newbie

I've always had a PC and am making the switch to apple, I've been sucked in and i'm ready to pull the trigger..

My current pc setup is a AMD Phenom 3.0GHZ, 8GB DDR3 with a 512MB Raedon video card..

$2349 + tax - New from apple whenever they are available.
    Newest Late 2012
    27" iMac - 3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 (I7-3770)
    8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5

$2300 + no tax - used from someone who bought it last month.. (I talked him down from $2500, may be able to go a little more)
    Previous 2012 Model
    27" iMac - 3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 (I7-2600)
    12GB 1333MHZ DDR3 SDRAM
    Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5

Or I found
    $1400 + tax - used from local electronics store
    Mid 2010 Model
    27" iMac - 2.93GH Quad-core Intel i7 (I7-870)
    4GB 1333MHZ DDR3 SDRAM
    Radeon HD 5750 1GB GDDR5

I like the fact that the older two models still have an optical drive but I have a few questions please!

1. Will I really notice a different between the i7 processor models? (3770,2600 and 870)

2. I love the idea of a 2GB video card because I've never had anything that big, will the 2010 model I found locally with the 1GB video card still be pretty good? (I plan on upgrading the ram as well)

Any other comments?

I do alot of web design and work in adobe fireworks and illustrator..
    Occasionally I will play a graphics intensive game like world of warcraft but mostly web design and graphic design is what I do on the side.. I also occasionally dabble in video editing..

Which one of these 3 would you chose?

2. Zorch macrumors newbie

I have had the 27 in iMac for about a week. I would go for the newest model because of a couple of things:

1. Mountain Lion - nice upgrade for Snow Leopard for me.
    2. Onboard RAM. I have 16GB because I will be using Fusion to run some Windows apps because I do DB work. I am not sure what the max is for the earlier models but this baby will go to 32GB.
    3. Fusion Drive: I like it. I have 3 TB fusion drive and it is fast.
    4. The screen resolution is higher than earlier models and it is nice!

Hope this help!

3. DustyJoe thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply!

Is there a big difference in screen between the new late 2012 model and previous model? I remember reading that the new models had a matte finish and not as glossy..

Was the display improved?

4. sounddesigner macrumors regular

I would always go new because you get the warranty and it will last longer than the old one only suggest used if u cant afford new expesially since u can just get an optical drive from amazon or someplace