Need help deciding between MBP 15 configurations

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Baloney1011, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Baloney1011 macrumors member

Hi, y'all. Just interested, I could get the one with the 2720QM and 6750M and upgrade to a hi-res screen, 7200 RPM 750 GB hard drive, and 8 GB RAM, or the one with the 2760QM and 6770M and upgrade to a hi-res screen, 7200 RPM 750 GB hard drive, but 4 GB RAM. Both end up about the same price (with education discount and 7% tax factored in). My budget cannot exceed $2350 under any circumstances, with $2300 being the normal limit. I play old, not-very-demanding games like Flight Simulator X, Dirt 2, and Need for Speed Carbon (but I want to play them on max. settings). I might also do some light Illustrator/Photoshop, and of course tons of word processing and surfing. Basically everything. I know the 6770M is just a slightly overclocked 6750M. The difference between the 2720QM and 2760QM is so small its stupid they're different processors. The only problem I see is that the 6750M has 512 MB RAM, do you think that will be enough? I don't know, I used to only go for cards with 1 GB, just feel safer that way...

What do you guys think. Thanks. :)

2. simsaladimbamba

3. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

He's 100% right. The RAM and HDD upgrades are much cheaper if you do them yourself.

As to which graphics processor - for the needs you listed, either would be fine, but if you feel safer with the 1GB go for it. Changing the hard drive and RAM is dead simple and you'll save quite a bit. There are videos on YouTube if you need some guidance. Good luck!

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I went through this some time ago. Here are my recommendations (education prices):

2.2 GHz, upgrade to 128 GB SSD and high-res antiglare screen: 2014 before tax
    2.4 GHz, same upgrades: 2224 before tax

+ aftermarket RAM upgrade to 8 GB ($50) and a external firewire HDD (~$100-$150)

If you just want to use up your budget, you can also take the 2.2GHz version above and throw in the Apple RAM upgrade. The benefit is you don't have to take apart the new machine

Or, add applecare to the package, it's about $200 with education discount. I went with the 2.2GHz configuration.

5. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Get the best spec (excl RAM) you can afford and upgrade the RAM later.

I went with the Apple SSD as well as I wanted the reassurance that I wouldn't have any issues with it. But again, if you're on a budget, disregard the HD too.

Might as well throw everything you can at the bits you're not going to be able to change later.

6. Baloney1011 thread starter macrumors member

That's WAY too small for me. I plan on installing Windows and want at least 250 GB.

Also, I don't want to ever have to open the bottom. I don't want to mess with my computer's insides, no matter how simple it is. It just doesn't make me feel safe. Don't pressure me to do it because I won't. So what is in it now is what is in it forever - unless, of course, I take it to BestBuy or something? I contacted them and they said the price for upgrading RAM was $40. So, I don't know... I still don't want to ever open it up. It's like surgery: avoid it at all costs and only do it in a life/death situation.

7. dakhein macrumors member

'Nuff said - get as much RAM and HD as possible since you won't be opening it ever. If you don't plan on driving a huge external monitor I think the 512 MB of video RAM is sufficient.

8. simsaladimbamba

Maybe you change your mind after seeing one of the countless videos on how to do it or looking at the guides I provided in my RAM guide, it is really simple.
    I even replaced my optical disk drive (ODD) with an SSD this past week and I also opened my iMac to get an SSD inside. I normally have to wrong hands, but with the guides available, replacing RAM and HDD is very simple, but even if you go via Best Buy and give them 40 USD for ten minutes of work to upgrade RAM it would be still cheaper than paying Apple's prices for the RAM upgrade. Anyway, it is your money, and if 200 USD for 8 GB RAM instead for 40 USD for 8 GB of RAM and doing it yourself or instead of 40 USD for 8 GB RAM and 40 USD for doing so is not important to your, then by all means, go for it.

Again, replacing RAM is easy, and to use your surgery analogy: it is like removing a splinter or treating a small wound with a plaster and it is not like open heart surgery. But if you feel uncomfortable removing a splinter, than keep your hands of the screwdrivers.

9. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I understand. Then you should take the 8 GB variant. 4GB might be fine right now, but since you don't want to open it, ever, I would go with 8GB to be safe. Note that the CPU is the 2675QM, not the 2720QM (that was the early 2011 model's CPU). 512 MB video ram should be fine, unless you want to run a very high resolution external display.

Unfortunately 256 GB SSDs are still very expensive. So you have to pass on this option.

10. Baloney1011 thread starter macrumors member

Oh, that reminds me! I was wondering exactly which CPUs the 2.2 Ghz, 2.4 Ghz, and 2.5 Ghz are...
    I can't quite find a place that lists them. Stupid of Apple to keep information hidden from its customers. :confused:

11. simsaladimbamba

Because most consumers don't care about that.
    If you want to know, what CPUs are in there: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/index-macbookpro.html