Need help deciding between two MBPs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VigCS, Aug 19, 2009.

1. VigCS macrumors newbie

So I've decided to sell my Macbook because of it's dismal 3D performance. I have a guy coming to look at it today and if I had to guess I'll get between $700 and $800.

Now the decision. My friend just purchased a unibody MBP and he's offering to sell me his old 15" aluminum MBP for $950.
    Specs:
    2.16GHz C2d
    4 gigs of ram
    120 gig HDD
    superdrive
    X1650xt
    4 months left on applecare
    New screen, case, and superdrive

Now, I could get a new unibody 13" MBP (the base 2.26 GHz one) for $1099 with my student discount. Which do you all suggest? How does the 128mb x1650xt compare to the Geforce 9400m? Unfortunately a 9600M MBP is out of my price range.

Thanks all, any input is appreciated. I'm not planning on doing heavy gaming, just a little WoW here and there (which my current MB can barely do).

2. VigCS thread starter macrumors newbie

3. gethyphyyo macrumors regular

buy the refurb 2.26 for $999 or use your student discount and buy the new 2.26 brand new.

His computer is old.

4. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

You're much better off with a brand new 13" than his 3 year old MBP. The 9400M isn't that far off performance-wise from the X1600; I think the 9400M is just a little bit faster.

5. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

100%, get the new MBP. Don't buy the old one, it is old.

Go to :apple: Refurb, or use your awesome student discount.

$950 for that laptop? He'd be very lucky to get $800, imo.

6. VigCS thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I went online earlier today and saw I could get a refurb MBP 13" for $999 and was pretty much convinced otherwise.

7. gethyphyyo macrumors regular

I ended up buying a refurb 2.26 MacBook Pro because of what happened to me the first time I bought a white MacBook. I went through 3 replacements until I got one that worked with no defects.

Like the worst luck in AMERICA!!!!

So I bought the 2.26 refurb MacBook Pro since I buy a new laptop every 14 months I might as well save a bit buy getting the refurb,and also with piece of mind knowing that everything was triple checked and I wouldn't have any issues with it.

The MacBook that I got only had 2 battery cycles so i'm taking it was a DOA.

I have no problems with my refurb and I loveeeeeee my MacBook Pro to death.

8. VigCS thread starter macrumors newbie

So my friend is now offering his old 15.4" MBP for $800 vs $1000 for the 13" MBP Refurb.

I'm still leaning toward the refurb.

9. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Both work. The trackpad sells me on the unibody, but 15" is nice for an everyday machine.

10. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

don't pay $950 for a computer thats almost 3 years old

the new MBP has a WAY better battery, higher bandwidth ram, nicer screen, multi touch trackpad, a NEW warranty, the list goes on.

your friend would be robbing you blind.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I like the 13" refurb myself. I think you're getting more bang for your buck.

A new computer with a warranty and no possible headaches from dealing with friends and computer problems (if they arise).

12. helloimD4NNY macrumors regular

I recommend that you buy the 2.26GHz at Best Buy instead of Apple. Best Buy covers against any or most accidental damage and spills to your MB, Apple doesn't(applying to the spills part).

Although I don't know if you get a student discount at Best Buy. I would look into it for you but im only 15 and doesn't have his license... yet. :(

13. CSHawkeye81 macrumors member

Hey Vig, I have a 2.4 ghz early 2008 model i am trying to sell. I live in Rosslyn btw.

14. VigCS thread starter macrumors newbie

Any info on it? :)

I'll try IMing you.