Need help deciding if battery is bad or not

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hatcher146, Jul 28, 2008.

1. hatcher146 macrumors 6502

i need help deciding whether my iPhones battery is bad or not..

i got it on july 11th.. so its been through quite alot of cyles already.

here are some of my stats..

everything is turned off... location services, no 3G, wifi, etc.

4 hrs 3 minutes usage
    14 hrs 38 minutes standby 30% remaining

today i didnt do much heavy usage at all except alot of text messaging and the usage was 4 hrs 13 minutes and standby 11 hrs 15 minutes and it was 50%

also my battery only takes at the most an hour and a half to charge.

and somedays i wont use it much and the battery will get down to 40%

what do you guys think? my battery isnt all that good i think. it drains very quickly.

any help would be appreciated. thanks.

2. yode macrumors 6502

3. hatcher146 thread starter macrumors 6502

i cant seem to believe that this is normal battery life. i didnt talk on the phone for more than 20 minutes today. all i did was pretty much text all day. and my battery gets down to 40%.

could a software update make the battery better?

4. shinenjk macrumors regular

Sounds pretty normal to me. :rolleyes: I swear it's like a paranoia among iPhone 3G users - they all think their battery is defective!

5. hatcher146 thread starter macrumors 6502

i dont know.. i just wish i knew for sure if mine was bad or not.

my battery is just.. "random"

yesterday my battery was 100% the whole entire day.. never went down. and i used it more than i did today.. and by 11:00 tonight the battery was 40% and i didnt do much heavy usage at all. it seems to drain quickly when im using it. too quickly.

6. shinenjk macrumors regular

Well what do you do when you notice the battery draining fast? Mine drains pretty fast too when I'm surfing the web non-stop on my 3G, playing around with apps, or using GPS on Google maps (I just love seeing that blue dot drop lol - I'm sure people can agree with me on this). But if I minimize doing all those things the battery lasts the whole day with no problem.

7. hatcher146 thread starter macrumors 6502

today i did not do any web surfing at all. all i did was text all day and had at the most probably 30 minutes of talk time. and to get 40% at the end of the day for only texting? is that good?

8. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I'm not sure if you have a defective battery but I think there is definetely a problem. I have ALL services turned off (3G, Push, Location, etc.) and only manage to get between 4.5 and 5 hours to total shutdown. Apple claims that battery life should be BETTER than the original iPhone. I would easily get 5.5 hours until the 20% warning on my old phone. I spoke to an Apple customer service agent over the phone and he agreed.

The only thing I can guess is that the update will fix this.

9. hatcher146 thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah.. people that i know who have the 1st gen i asked to compare with and they got significantly better battery life. i dont think it has been improved with the iPhone 3G.

can a software update really fix battery issues?

10. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

This may be a stupid question, but how do you know what your battery's percentage is other than at the 20% and 10% warnings?

Today, my phone has 2:30 usage, 14:25 standby, and the battery appears to be around 40-45%. I did about an hour of phone calls and then have been playing with various settings and email for the past hour or two. I have 3G off, push on, location and wifi off (except I turned on wifi for a brief email test).